If you are one of the millions of Americans who dropped out of high school or if you are someone who has been home-schooled your whole life, you should seriously consider getting your GED. The General Educational Development exam is the exact same thing as having a high school diploma and very important for any career advancement.
Preparing for the GED is not an overly difficult task, but there are some things you will want to check before proceeding to take this exam. Here are some things to check and what you need to do to prepare for the GED.
1) Make sure you are eligible for taking the test. You have to be at least 18 years of age, not a high school graduate, and are not enrolled in any secondary schools.
2) Look-up information about the test online; there is a wealth of information available including sample GED tests and study guides so you know what to expect. The test is done in five sections, with four of them being multiple-choice sections and the last section in essay form. You need to earn a minimum of 225 points total.
3) You can enroll in a GED preparation class. These are generally low cost preparation programs that are designed to prepare you for the test itself as well as the testing environment. Many of these classes are offered on the weekends as well as during the evenings for those people who are working.
4) Develop your testing strategy by taking practice tests so you can get used to time constraints. You can’t spend too much time on one question. You have to learn how to pace your answers so you have time to answer all questions.
5) Practice writing essays from previous test examples so you become comfortable with writing under pressure and within time constraints. You have to learn to get your point across quickly and in a well-written manner.
You can check your local government offices for information about when and where the tests are scheduled, as well as any local government preparation classes that may be available. There are also books you can check-out at your local library that can help you prepare for the GED. Be sure any book you get is the most current version available, thus providing the most accurate information.
There are three main ways to prepare:
Books and study guides can help you prepare by giving you sample tests and ideas on how to manage the test. This option lacks a sense of guidance and you are on your own to prepare.
Online training services offer the most up-to-date information and can help by tracking your progress; also you can opt for the assistance of professionals on the site.
Adult education classes can offer direct teaching and feedback as well as a way to keep you constantly moving forward.
You have to decide which is the best route for you to take, but with all the possibilities available for assistance, you have every reason to get your GED.
Jason Kay recommends reviewing sample GED test questions and answers at SampleGED.com, which includes several example questions from each section of the GED tests.