Communication is vital in your daily interaction. It gets you through simple activities like going to work or buying a meal. Verbal and written forms are usually tapped on. Nevertheless, it will be a big lift in your personal and professional endeavors if you can reach full understanding of a non-verbal scenario.
Rely on these guidelines to effectively convey and interpret messages without saying a word.
- Help your body talk. There are three basic aspects related to your anatomy’s system of non-verbal communication. Body movements, posture, and hand gestures are three important factors that you must learn to control. Bear in mind to perform abdominal respirations. Avoid slouching and make it a point to relax your facial muscles especially the ones located in the jaw area. By doing so, you can deliver the words appropriately particularly when you are faced with a nerve-wrecking situation.
- Let others hear you loud and clear. Voice tone is significant in conveying deeper and broader meanings. Thus, it is up to you to observe and understand how people behave whenever you speak. People do not only react based on what they hear. At times, there is more emphasis on how the words are delivered. Make it a point to sound authentic. This will help the person you’re talking with get a better perspective.
- Never strain your eyes. They can tell a lot about your current condition. Experts have indicated in past studies that evasion from eye contact indicates that an individual is trying to hide something. On the other hand, sharp and prolonged stares can be very intimidating. Adequate eye contact can help you establish rapport and trust but bear in mind that you need to give it a rest. Communication gurus have shared that the better way of communicating with your eyes is having four- to five-second intervals.
- Eliminate bad conversation habits. It’s human nature to have annoying habits while talking to people in tensed and stressful situations. Some like to fiddle with small objects in their pockets like pins and coins. There are those who are very conscious on how they look leading to motions focused on the hair and fingers. The worst comes in facial rubbing and touching. These are actions that you can live without. Move away from frustrating encounters and evaluate mannerisms when experiencing severe amount of pressure to prevent misunderstandings.
- Practice validating the other party’s message. Asking questions during any part of the conversation is not a bad thing. In fact, this will aid you in doing a better job at analysing and interpreting the message that the other person is trying to give. The best way of getting a clearer picture of the conversation’s progress is by telling him how you understood the words he has said.
- Get better with each session you partake in. Even the most complex forms of communication can be squeezed into simpler terms if you have taken time to be familiar with the principles and concepts involved. There are people who have developed the ability to ‘read’ other individual based on their behavior because they have spent a great deal learning and practicing the art and science of non-verbal communication.
There are instances when the logical and emotional centers of the brain clash. Make sure you get a good balance of both. By doing so, communication will work in your favor.