A breast cancer awareness ribbon is a small pink ribbon that is worn by individuals to show support for breast cancer programs. This simple pink ribbon is to remind women to get their annual mammograms, do self breast exams, make a donation for breast cancer research or to tell people know you or someone your know and love is a breast cancer survivor.
If you would like to raise awareness and show support for breast cancer programs and research, here’s how to wear a breast cancer awareness ribbon.
- Purchase some pink satin ribbon and a safety pin. Cut a about a four inch strip of the ribbon and simply make one loop on the ribbon. You can look online to see how it should look like. Secure the ribbon on your lapel with a small safety pin.
- If you are having an event or would like to give out the ribbons, you can purchase pre made ribbons by the bulk. A bag of 250 ribbons sells for less that $30 at pinkribbonshop.com.
- Buy items with the breast cancer pink ribbon printed on it. Shirts, tank tops, socks, towels and other merchandise are sold with the pink ribbon printed on it. There are also special edition sportswear made by major sportswear companies such as Nike, New Balance and Wilson that have the ribbon design printed on the material, aside from being pink in color.
- Buy the pink ribbon merchandise. Cute backpacks, belt bags, belts, and other accessories are sold with the pink ribbon design used as a pattern. Of course, the item will also come in the color pink! Kitchen items are also sold with the pink ribbon, so decorate your home with the pink ribbon too! Kitchen Aid is selling a mixer, scissors and other kitchen accessories in the color pink, specifically designed to raise awareness for breast cancer.
- Buy iron on pink ribbon designs. These can be purchased at craft stores. Simply iron on the design on any cotton material and voila!
- Purchase pink ribbon jewelry. There are various designs, some even incorporating rhinestones, Swarovsky crystals and other semi precious stones. The ribbons can be purchased as charms for a bracelet, a necklace, a lapel pin, a pendant or keychain.
- Remember that when you wear the pink ribbon, it’s not just about making a fashion statement. Do what the ribbon is supposed to remind you of. Go to your doctor and get your annual breast mammogram. On a monthly basis, perform your own self breast exam. Take care of yourself by having a healthy diet and get enough exercise and reduce stress in your life, to reduce your chances of being diagnosed with breast cancer.
Wearing the pink ribbon is a great way to make a fashion statement and at the same time be politically correct. With the purchase of any pink ribbon item, the proceeds go towards breast cancer research or some other breast cancer related charity. It’s a universally flattering color on almost all women so why not support the cause and look great at the same time?