A health department is a branch of the government that deals with the health of the citizens. Finding a good job with your local health department starts with having the right degree.
There are different health departments for all the states and cities. This is to accommodate all the needs of the citizens. Some of the responsibilities of the health department are to perform food inspections in restaurants and facilities, take tests for diseases like STDs or AIDS, health testing and giving vaccinations and health immunizations. The health department is also responsible for counting the death rate and birth rate.
Here are the steps on how you can work for your local health departments:
- US Department of Health&Human Services. The US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) is a branch of the government that deals with the health of American citizens. This is the main branch of all the health departments of different states. If you want to help for your local health department, what you can do is to go to the official website of this department and go to the ‘Jobs’ portion of the website.
- Education and training programs. Before you can be qualified to work for the health department, you must have the necessary experience and training. You can find education and training programs on the website hhs.gov. You can read about Career Coaching or Individual Development Plans on the website.
- Job opportunities. If you are ready to seek for a job, you can go to the main headquarters of the HSS in Washington DC. They also have regional offices in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Kansas, Denver, San Francisco and Seattle. By visiting the office, you will learn what positions need to be filled and the different requirements that you have to fulfill in order to apply for the job.
- Local offices. Every state has a health department office. You can look for the official website of the state department where you are located and check for the different job opportunities available. You can also personally visit their office. Some of the jobs that are needed may include statisticians, public health analysts, therapists, administrative assistants, physicians and a lot more.
- Direct application. If you want to apply directly to HHS, you can go to the website hhs.gov. On this website, you will find the different job positions available. There will also be a guide on what to put on your resume and other useful information that you can use. You can then submit your resume so that you can be hired for a job position on your local departments.
These are some of the things that you can do to have a job in your local health department. It is good to work in the health department in order to know the health situation in your local area. You will also be helping a lot of people by working for the health department. Some of these health departments are also taking in volunteers to work and help in different activities. Whether your degree is in health administration, human services, or one of the other disciplines which can feed into health department careers, you are sure to find the career rewarding.