A bank teller deal with customer service in a bank with a storefront. They work in main branches of banks and also in smaller branches. Some of the jobs of a bank teller include cashing checks, receiving payments, dealing with deposit transactions, issuing checks, exchanging foreign currency and more. There are several requirements that you would have to meet in order to enter a bank and have a job as a bank teller.
Here are some of the requirements for being a bank teller:
- Education. The first thing you have to have in order to be a bank teller is a high school diploma and a Bachelor’s degree. Usually, bank jobs require people with a Bachelor’s degree in commerce, business, finance or any mathematical course. This will be a great addition to your resume.
- Work experience. Being a bank teller may not be a position you can get if you do not have enough work experience in handling money. You can first work for sales and retail and customer service jobs for several months or up to one or two years so that you can add the work experience to your resume. You have a higher chance of getting the job if they see that you already have experience in handling money. One of the duties of a bank teller is to account for large sums of money. This may be a daunting task for you if you do not have previous experience handling money.
- Physical skills. This is another quality that they look for in bank tellers. You must be able to stand for long periods of time without getting tired easily. Most bank tellers work all day standing and serving customers. They only have a chance to sit down during their break time.
- Computer literate. You have a better chance in getting hired if you know how to work with computers and some accounting software. As a bank teller, you will handle different types of transactions throughout the day. You will have to input information and search for information from the database on the computer. You also have to be well trained in multitasking so that you do not keep the customers waiting.
- Personality. As a bank teller, you will be required to deal with different types of people everyday. You have to have a pleasing and friendly personality so that you can serve the customers well. This is part of the job description. Some clients can be difficult to deal with. In those cases, you must know how to handle the situation well without upsetting the client.
These are some of the requirements that you have to meet so that you can be hired as a bank teller. You must be ready to deal with problems concerning customers' accounts, balance books, deal with transactions, and monitor accounts to be sure they are correct. You will deal with numbers when you go to work everyday. If you do not have a passion for numbers, then being a bank teller may not be the best option for you.