Drug development is the term that is used for the entire process of bringing a new drug into the market. Drug development consists of several steps of experimentation before the drug is deemed to be useful for a certain type of ailment. The steps that make up a drug development process start from the discovery of the drug up to the time that it is tested on human beings that have that certain illness that the drug is being tested for.
There are a lot of jobs that are associated with drug development. This includes researchers, doctors, pharmaceutical professionals and lots more.
Here are some of the jobs that are available in the drug development field:
- Clinical Trial Administrator. A clinical trial administrator must have good planning skills and must be able to work well with other members of the drug development team. It is also good if you have already worked with a clinical trial before. Being a clinical trail administrator, you will be able to work with different pharmaceutical companies during the drug development process.
- Animal Pharmacologist. Pharmacology is defined as the study of how a drug works. In this case, an animal pharmacologist studies how the drug interacts with an animal. The animal pharmacologist is the one in charge of the pre-clinical research that is conducted on animals before the drug is tested on human beings. The animal testing is a process that validates if the drug indeed is good for treating ailments in human beings.
- Toxicologist. The toxicologist studies the effects of the chemicals that are contained in the drug on an animal or a person. The toxicologist also ensures that the drug is safe for human consumption and that it does not contain a lethal dose of chemicals. The toxicologist studies the drug design and does drug research. He is also responsible for measuring the drug levels.
- Research Assistant. The research assistant will be involved in the clinical development and the different stages of the drug development. The research assistant also spends time in the laboratory dealing with the different cultures and different tests that need to be conducted. As a research assistant, you must have experience working in the laboratory and have some experience in pharmaceutical development.
- Histologist. A histologist is responsible for studying the anatomy of different compositions that make up animals and also plants. A microscope is used to study the cells and tissues of different plants and animals. He must be up to date with different kinds of technology. The histologist runs tests on the animal that is going to be used during the pre-trial. It is also the job of the histologist to provide assistance to the whole drug development team.
These are some of the jobs that are available in drug development. There are more jobs that make up a drug development team. The drug goes through a lot of processes, and there are different people who handle different areas of the drug development. If you want to have a career in drug development, you must be able to work in a team environment and be open to the insights of the other members of the team.