Now that a lot of developments have been happening in the field of business, employment and Internet technology, home-based jobs are made possible and a lot of people are working from home. Along with these are certain realities that those who work from home have to face:
- Working from home means that you don't have to go to the office. The good side of this is that you will save on transportation and gas expenses. You will also save time from commuting and driving to work. You will also be less likely to get sick because you avoid crowds, allergens and harmful substances, which are prevalent outside of your home.
- Working at home means that you have to work in a different environment than what you are accustomed to. That means you have to adjust your routines and your working habits, most especially if you are used to working in an office.
- Working in your home is convenient because you can do things you normally can't do in an office. If your job doesn't require you to be seen, you can work in comfortable clothes and save money on buying professional attire and complementary accessories, shoes, bags, jewelry, etc.
- Working in your home means that you have to deal with distractions. You are free to go out of your house and do other things and most probably, you will. This will make working harder because you have to restrain yourself from doing other things when your work is unfinished.
- Working at home means that you are in your house and with your family all the time (if you are living with them). You can take care of your family better and be there when they need you to be. This will result in increased security for your house, better supervision for your children and a greater bond between you, your spouse, your children, your parents and whomever you may be living with.
- Working at home means that you have more responsibilities than when you are confined in an office. Being at home means you have to take care of your family and things in the home. You will also be in a noisy and unruly environment especially if you have young children who like to play around in your house while you are working.
- Working at home means that you can set your own schedule. You don't have to get up early, you can sleep when you want to and work much longer than usual. The bad side of this is that you have to discipline yourself from not working and also from overworking yourself.
- Working at home means that you are the boss. This is good if you can manage yourself and other people in your home. Discuss your work with your family members and make some rules regarding what they are allowed to do while you are working. More importantly, make sure that you discipline yourself in order to do your work properly even if you have greater freedom while working.
Working from home may be a good or bad thing, depending on what kind of person you are and how you work. Discipline is the key.