In the latter part of the 1800s and beginning of 1900s, people considered asbestos an ideal material for industries involved in construction. It is highly fire-resistant, electricity-proof, and actually comes very cheap compared to other materials. However, controversies arise in the use of asbestos when its fibers become airborne and inhaled by people, causing severe health problems such as asbestosis, mesothelioma and even cancer. Exposure to asbestos is fatal, because the lungs can't expel the substance, and may penetrate tissues because of their sharpness. Asbestos lawyers--also called mesothelioma lawyers--are often hired in damage claims due to exposure to asbestos. In the recent years, there have been rising demands for asbestos lawyers because of the number of asbestos lawsuits filed in court.
- Investigate your case. Your asbestos attorney is just like your ordinary lawyer except that he specializes in cases involving exposure to asbestos. One of his functions is to investigate your case to explore every detail for evidence that he can present in court. It is important for your lawyer to know every detail of your case so that he will be able to put up a solid defense he can use during litigation.
- Give legal advice. As a plaintiff in an asbestos case claim, your lawyer should give you legal advice regarding what to do during trial. In every aspect concerning the case, you should consult your lawyer on what to say or what to do. This is essential if you want to win your case, and of course you do.
- Represent you in court. Your lawyer should be able to represent you in court and defend your case against any attack from the defending party. Your asbestos lawyer acts as your legal guardian who knows the ins and outs of your case and who will go after your welfare. He will do anything to win your case because no lawyer wants to lose a case. Trust that he will make sure that you get your claims.
- Help in claims. An asbestos lawyer is charged with getting claims for damages over asbestos exposure, so he will make sure that you get as much payment for these damages as possible. A portion of your claims may go to attorney's fees, so he will likely ensure that you get the maximum amount of payment for your case.
- Bring justice. He may not be the sole agent that will deliver justice in your case, but he will be instrumental in prosecuting the perpetrators of asbestos poisoning, and consequently giving you payment for health damages.
In hiring an asbestos lawyer, make sure he has enough experience in court litigation, specifically in dealing with asbestos cases. There are a number of lawyers out there who specialize in these types of cases, and it's important to weed through them to know which lawyers will be able to truly help you with your claims. Before any work begins, ask the costs of hiring the lawyer so that you won't be fooled into paying more than you should. That is why it is important to do your research before looking for a lawyer--search the Web, ask your friends or read articles about asbestos litigation and the lawyers that have successfully won such cases. Getting a good lawyer is the first step to winning your case, so make sure you hire a good one.