What is CD burning software?
For those of you with new PCs, CD burning software refers to a software that enables you to write/save data, pictures, spreadsheets, video, and other files or folders on to an optical media e.g. CD, DVD, and the latest Blu Ray discs. This is great for backing up your precious data.
What can CD burning software do?
Besides backing up data, CD burning software can manage different tasks. Some of them are listed below:
- CD burning software can create all kinds of CDs/DVDs/Blu Rays.
- Create music/audio discs from any format.
- Create video discs. Some CD burning software can make discs that run on common DVD/CD/Blu Ray players.
- Create bootable discs.
- Copy one disc to another.
- Create discs from ISO files.
- Create ISO files from discs.
- Backup your discs, such as games, movies and audio CDs.
Free CD Burning Software
Casual Windows users only think of Nero and Roxio as CD burning software. In reality there are tons of CD burning software on the market. Did you know there are some terrific free CD burning software available? Here is a list of some the best ones:
ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/
CD Burner XP - http://cdburnerxp.se/
Nero Free Version - http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php
Infra Recorder - http://www.infrarecorder.org/
Step by step guide to writing a disc
For this guide we take ImgBurn as our free CD burning software. We will start from zero, write and verify a data disc with our free CD burning software.
Step 1: Installation
- Download Imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download.
- Double click the downloaded file.
- A window will open. Click "Next".
- Next window is for component selection. Click "Next" without messing with the list.
- It will ask for the installation folder. Click "Next".
- Finally click "Install" in the next window that asks for Start Menu folder name.
- Click "Finish" and it will run ImgBurn.
We are ready to burn some data
Step 2: Burning data disc
You will need some files to burn onto the disc of your choice. It can be a CD, DVD, or a Blu Ray. Below are the steps:
- In the main window of ImgBurn click "Write files/folders to disc".
- The next window lets you choose if you want to browse files or folders. Browse to the folder or file that you want to write.
- Insert a blank disc in the CD/DVD/Blu Ray burner.
- Click the "Build" button.
It will also verify data on the disc if you have not unchecked the option to "Verify".
Free CD burning software listed in this article have proven to be the finest ones on the market. All of them received fantastic feedback from millions of users. These free software match any of their paid competition.