High availability is a protocol that is executed to make sure that operations are continuous for a certain period of time. This makes different systems available to provide services for institutions, businesses and other entities. High availability ensures that there is no downtime when there are activities that need to be done on the system. There are various high availability database solutions available.
The high availability protocol is useful for both planned and unplanned downtime. Planned downtime is when the system goes offline because of maintenance or improvements that are done. Unplanned downtime happens when there are sudden power outages. The high availability database solutions are very useful during these situations.
Here are some of the high availability database solutions that are implemented:
- Failover Clustering. Failover clustering provides support for SQL server. Failover clustering is the terms used for a system that has multiple nodes and servers. It also has two or more shared disks. The SQL failover cluster is detected on the network as only one computer. Failover Clustering is not a solution for disk failure. This solution can be used in order to lessen the downtime of the system and provide longer times when the server is available.
- Database Mirroring. Database mirroring is the solution used to be able to support failovers of the system and also to increase the database availability for the entire network. A snapshot of the mirror database can be taken so that users can view the database. They are not allowed to alter the snapshot of the mirror database as it is a read only file.
- Log Shipping. Log shipping is a solution for the database level. You can use this method to uphold a standby database. The standby database can also be referred to as the secondary database. This is the database that is created when the primary database is restored without a backup. Log shipping is used to support a lot of standby databases all at the same time.
- Replication. Replication is the solution used to allocate data to secondary servers. There are three types of replication methods that are used. The first one is the snapshot, the second one is the transactional, and the third one is known as merge. This method is typically used for high availability.
- Solutions. These are the solutions provided for planned and unplanned downtime. These solutions are able to do the activities that are done by the primary server. By using these solutions, people will still be able to access the database for a limited time before the system goes into total downtime.
These are some of the solutions for high availability database. The percentage of the downtime annually can be determined by the percentage of availability. This is for systems that are expected to operate without stopping. The higher the availability, the less downtime that the server experiences. If you want to read more information about high availability database solutions, you can visit the website microsoftelearning.com and search for the different courses that will help you better understand the different high availability database solutions.