Though typically the slowest Internet line connection, dial up network is still better than nothing. A lot of households, especially those in the rural areas, are subscribing to dialup service. Aside from being an affordable Internet connection, it can also be easily set up. In fact, even those without much knowledge on computers can easily establish their connections.
If you are not blessed with a fast access broadband connection in your area, you have no other choice to connect to the Web but through dialup service. And to ease up all the process for you, here is a step-by-step guide on how to access the Internet through this:
- If you don't have a dialup Internet subscription, look for Internet access providers and sign up for a dialup connection. You need to have a phone line to be able to get a connection.
- Connect the dedicated phone line to the computer LAN port. If you are using a desktop computer, it can usually be found at the back of the CPU. On the other hand, it is placed either at the sides or the back of the laptop if you are using one.
- In your computer, access "New Connection Wizard" for entering the dialup information. You can do this by going to the Control Panel. Click in "Network and Internet Connections."
- Click the radio button "Connect to the Internet." Click Next. Select the "Setup my connection manually" or a similar button and click the Next button again.
- Now, you then click the radio button saying "Connect using my dialup modem." Click Next once more.
- Fill out the form with your ISP's (Internet Service Provider's) name in the ISP box. Click Next afterwards.
- Type the access number in the box labeled "Phone Number." This number is usually your phone number but if you don't know the number, ask your Internet access provider. Click the Next button after entering the number.
- Now, you need to enter the username as well as the password in the fields with such labels. Before hitting Next, make sure to check the boxes saying "Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer" and also "Make this the default Internet connection."
- For future easier access, you can select the box that is labeled "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop."
- In this case, you only need to double click the desktop icon for fast access to the dialup network.
- Upon doing this, the modem will automatically dial to your dedicated Internet provider. The dialing will filter your username and password. Once the filter is done, a connection is expected to be established. After this step, you can access the Internet.
- When you need to connect to the dialup network again, you can perform steps 10 and 11. Since the network was already setup before, you don't need to undergo the whole process anymore.
Performing all these steps carefully will lead you to a successful Internet browsing activity. In any case, it is only the setting up of the network that requires longer processes. However, when you need to connect to a dialup Internet line after the first, it is as pain-free as connecting to a rural broadband line.