Microsoft Excel allows you to add or delete worksheets to accommodate how you want your workbook to be organized. The following are the steps on how to add or delete worksheets on your Excel workbook.
1. Several ways to open the Excel workbook document where you want to add or delete a worksheet.
- Go to the folder where you have saved the document and double click on its icon or filename.
- Launch Microsoft Excel and on your Menu bar, click on the File Menu and hit on “Open”. Browse and open the file you want to open.
- Launch Microsoft Excel and on the Standard toolbar, click on the icon that has a folder on it to pull up the “Open” dialogue box. Find your excel workbook and double click on it.
- Launch Microsoft Excel and press “CTRL” and “O” key on your keyboard to pull up the “Open” dialogue box where you will be able to find and open your document.
- When your document is available for editing, do one of the next steps as it fits to your need.
2. Two ways to add a worksheet in your Excel workbook.
- On the Menu bar, hit the “Insert” option and click on the word “Worksheet”. Notice that you Excel automatically switches you immediately to the newly added worksheet and on the worksheet tab located on the lower left hand corner of Microsoft Excel, the new worksheet is already inserted there.
- On the worksheet tab, right click on any tab and select “Insert” from the menu that pops out. It’ll open the “Insert” box where you highlight on “Worksheet” and hit “OK” to insert a new worksheet on the book. The same as the procedure above, notice that you will be switched immediately to the new sheet.
3. Two ways to delete a worksheet in your Excel workbook.
- Hit the tab for the worksheet you want to delete and on your Menu bar, hit the option for “Edit” and then click on “Delete Sheet”.
- On the worksheet tab, right click on the worksheet you want to delete and select “Delete”
4. Delete a worksheet in a protected and shared workbook.
If the file you want to edit is protected and shared by many users on a network, the option to delete the worksheet will be grayed out. The following is the procedure to turn off protection and workbook sharing to enable the option to delete a worksheet. On the Menu bar, click on the “Tools”, hover your mouse on “Protection” to open the sub menu. Hit “Unprotect Shared Workbook”. After which, go back to “Tools” and click on “Share Workbook”. In the Share Workbook dialogue box, uncheck the box next to “Allow changes by more than one user at the same time.” And then click on “OK” and then “Yes” to apply the changes. You will now be able to delete the worksheet using any of the two ways stated above.
Be sure to save the changes you made on the file and be conscious when deleting worksheets as this is an action that you can’t undo. In case of accidental deletion, close the document and be sure not to save the changes you made and then open it again.