If you are planning to create a website or a blog to earn some revenue, you surely want your website on Google and Yahoo searches. Some websites are banned and penalized, particularly by Google. Banned websites will not rank for any keywords, and they will not be indexed at all. In simple terms, your website will not appear on the search engine results.
Google's main standard is that they do not want websites to deceive users by presenting different content to search engines than what is displayed to the user.
Here are some ways of avoiding having your website banned:
- Cloaking. Never cloak your website! It is a technique employed by some websites to deliver one page to a search engine for indexing while serving an entirely different page to everyone else. Your website will be blacklisted or banned if discovered to be using cloaking. This is done because cloaking fools the search engine's algorithm and programming that determines what makes a site rank high or low.
- Having Duplicate Content. Same content on multiple pages. You have to watch the content of your site, because you are not allowed to duplicate the content of one page on another. People duplicate their contents to increase the chance of being listed on the search engine. You have to change at least 30 percent of the content before you can place it on another page. It will not be flagged if you do so.
- Keyword Stuffing. Do not fill your sites with keywords, SEO, or Search Engine Optimization. The allowed keyword density in your site is 4-6%, but please make sure that it is readable and will make sense to your visitors. This means that for every 100 words on your website, 4-6 of the words will be keywords for indexing.
- Buying Links. Having links from irrelevant websites will earn you a banned status. Do not have too many links in your website.
- Bad Link Sites. If you are placing a link to your site, make sure that it is relevant to your site. If you are in marketing, do not post a link to sites like Naruto or other unrelated sites. Make sure also that the sites that you are linking to your website are not banned from Google or any other search engine.
- Hidden Text. Do not hide links on your website to gain SEO or Search Engine Optimization. Some people place a bunch of white text on a white background to increase SEO. Do not do this, because Google will ban you.
- Avoid Doorway Pages. These are pages created in order to attract search engine spiders and to be ranked highly for their keywords. Visitors to the site are then directed to some other site. Google strictly prohibits doorway pages.
According to Google, "Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule is whether you would feel at ease in explaining what you have done to a website that contends with you. Another useful analysis is to ask, 'Does this aid my users? Would I do this thing if ever search engines didn't exist?'"