A network infrastructure is made up of devices, connections and equipment needed in order for the whole network to function. In building your own network infrastructure, you have to consider a lot of elements. Some of these are the number of computers that are going to be in your network, the resources that they are going to share and also the purpose of building the infrastructure.
For building your own network, you will need the computers that are going to be in the network, a router with several Ethernet ports to accommodate all your computers and Ethernet cables.
Here are the steps on how you can build your own network infrastructure:
- Plugging in the ethernet cables. You can distinguish the Ethernet cables easily. They are the cables that have a similar end to that of a phone line cable. Plug the ethernet cable on the computer’s LAN port. The other end of the cable should be plugged on one of the router’s ports.
- Connecting the computers. The next thing you will have to do is to connect the computers to the router. First, you will have to open the computers that are going to be connected to the network one by one. Once the computers are already running, you can plug each machine to the ports that are on the router. You will see the lights on the router light up when you have successfully connected the computers to the router.
- Networking. Next, make sure the settings of the computers are correct so that they can communicate with each other. To do this, go to the ‘Local Area Network’ icon on the computer and right click. On the drop-down menu, choose ‘Properties.’ Click on ‘TCP/IP Protocol.’ See if the preference is set to ‘Automatic.’
- Setting up computers. You must configure the computers before you can use the network. Click on the ‘Start’ button and choose ‘Run’ from the menu. Type in ‘command’ on the window that appeared and click ‘OK.’ A new window will appear. On the black window, type in ‘ipconfig/all’ and press ‘Enter’ on your keyboard. Make sure that the IP Address for the local connection is all the same. The only difference is the last two numbers, which should appear as consecutive numbers on the computers.
- Sharing. When you have configured everything, you can test the computers to see if you can already share files, folders and documents. To share a folder, right-click on the folder and choose ‘Sharing and Security.’ You can now share files on the network infrastructure for easier management.
These are the steps on how to build your own network infrastructure. This set up is very useful for businesses and also at home. You will be able to share files, folders and documents with each other without having to go through a lot of steps. If you have more computers that you want to add to your network, you must have a stable hardware that can accommodate all the computers that you are going to include in the network infrastructure.