There are many web host services on the Internet. Just throwing a search in any search engine will give you information about web hosts. Web hosting could be exclusive or shared.
What Internet services do you require?
You must ask yourself if you wish to post information about yourself or your company. Is it a personal website or a commercial website or a business website? Is your website merely for providing data? Is the information exhaustive and requires large amounts of data space?
What kind of software are you intending to run on the web site? The following are some considerations to bear in mind when you compare web host services.
- Price – The overall cost to set up and maintain your website.
- Set up fee – some web host companies will charge you a set up fee.
- Domain and multiple domains – such as www.yourname.com. Multiple domains may cost extra to buy and maintain. Also look for domain search, registration, transferability, parked domains, sub-domains, add-on domains, and domain privacy.
- Disk Space – many free web host services will give you a limited disk space. Others will charge you a nominal fee for additional disk space at their server while premium web host services could provide virtually limitless disk space.
- Bandwidth – you should take care to see that the bandwidth offered is high if your traffic is high. Free web host services could give very limited bandwidth.Features such as - Money Back, Uptime guarantee, Website builder, Traffic statistics.
- Email, spam protection, webmail, SMTP
- Scripts to be run on the website – such as audio / video, java, perl, etc.
- Server backups – this could also depend upon the disk space available.
- History of web host such as reliability, customer service, technical support, technical response, and ease of use.
Some web hosts provide services such as customer management, shopping cart, credit card processing, merchant accounts, password protection, signing certificates and other security devices.
While you compare web host services, you should look at price-value ratio. Host reliability, key features, bonus features, customer support, past and current user feedback, user-friendliness and hosting awards.
The web hosts can provide website wizards, templates, guides, FAQs and other easy to use tools to help you build your websites.
The popular web hosting service providers, based on number of visits per week, are InMotion Hosting Inc.; Hostmysite.com; The Planet; Codero; Lunarpages; SingleHop; Justhost; IPage; HostMonster; FatCow; SuperGreen; HostClear; BlueHost; Green Geeks Hosting and Yahoo!