AVI (Audio Video Interleave) and WMV (Windows Media Video) are two formats that you will normally encounter when downloading videos off the Internet. Technically, both formats are compressed videos in nature however; some media players may only play one format. For instance, Windows Media Player, unless patched with a codec, may not be able to play a file in AVI format. If this is the case, then you will want to convert the file into WMV to ensure that you can view it with the particular media player. Well, this is one reason for the conversion but there may be others and if you truly need to know how to convert the file to WMV, then here are some steps you can follow.
- Visit download.cnet.com. This site features thousands of software, both freeware and commercial. Once on the site, search of an AVI to WMV converter. This will provide you with many results. Some may be totally free while others may be free to try. Now, if you don’t have the dough to spend on purchasing a converter, then stick with the free ones. The free to try programs usually include some kind of hook such as being able to use the application to convert but having a small message emblazoned on the video after the conversion unless you upgrade and purchase the full copy of the software. In any case, find a converter that you think will help you and download it.
- Install the converter. Regardless of what software you went with, after the download, click on the installation file to initiate the installation process. Follow the instructions until you completely install the program into your computer.
- Run the application. Locate the desktop shortcut that was created during installation and double-click it. This will initiate the loading of the converter and you will now be able to start converting. Once the app is running, make sure to configure it so that when you start converting a particular AVI file, the output will automatically be WMV. Some converters may provide you with different outputs formats and if that is the case, you will need to specify the output you want and configure it to convert it the way you want it to.
- Load the AVI file. Locate the AVI file you want to convert by opening it using the application. Navigate to its location and select it to load into the program. Once that is done, you will be prompted to specify the output. If you configure the program to always make the output of any conversion into WMV, then it will be the default output so you need not edit this part of the process anymore. Make sure to identify what folder and drive to save the output in after the conversion as well.
- Start the conversion. Once everything is set, locate the button that applies to starting the conversion. Click it and wait for the conversion to complete. Depending on the efficacy of the program you are using, the conversion can take up to 15 or 30 minutes to complete.
Once the conversion completes, you will want to test the file to see if it really provided the right output. Start by locating the file and looking if the file extension is now .WMV as opposed to the previous .AVI. If it is .WMV, then the next step will be testing it. Open up the file and view it in Windows Media Player or any other third party player that is capable to play WMV files. If it plays properly without a hitch, then you have successfully converted an AVI file to a WMV file.