Google Analytics is a web analytics tool service that is offered for free by Google. It gives detailed data on all website activities or traffic tracking data such as visitors, page views, and hits per page based on geographic location and click path. But to separate the real data from your impressions from your personal visit to the website, certain filters need to be applied.
In Google Analytics there are two ways to create filters; the predefined filter and the custom filter. Each has its own settings that you can select according to your reporting needs. Below are the steps to take when choosing the filter to use.
- Predefined filter. This is the most common filter and it is easy to set up.
- Go to Analytics Settings on the page of Google Analytics
- At the bottom of the settings page there is a link to Filter Manager, click it to open.
- Click the “Add” option and page name. Select “Create a New Filter” and a new page will appear where you can configure your filter.
- Give your filter a name. Make sure that it is descriptive of the filter you are creating
- Next to fill-up is the filter type. In this field, the selection is a drop-down list, select your filter type.
- Move the page to the IP address field and enter your IP address.
- Next step is to choose the domain profile this filter should be applied to in the Selected Website Profile List. If you only have one click, select it and press “Add” to apply the filter to the profile you have chosen.
- When done, press “Finish or Save Changes”. The filter will now be applied to the incoming traffic data.
- Custom filter. Another option for your filter tasks is the custom filter. This can make your reporting easier because you can manipulate the data according to your needs.
- Go to Analytics Settings
- Click the “Add” option and a page name “Create a New Filter” will appear where you can configure your filter.
- Give your filter a name. Ensure that it is something descriptive to the filter you are creating.
- Next to fill-up is the filter type. In this field, the selection is a drop-down list, unlike the predefined filter, you are to select custom filter.
- In order to choose an available custom filter, press the radio button next to the one you want and proceed to filling up the necessary fields.
- Select under the “Available Website Profiles”. List which filter will be applied. This is found under the “Apply Filter to Website Profile” Section.
- Next is to click “Add” to the Selected Websites Profile List.
- Click the “Finish” button to apply filter on all incoming data or “Cancel” to return to the previous page if you want to change the settings further.
Google Analytics is an essential tool for a website especially those made for online business. Tracking the traffic on your site gives you ample information on how you fair and compete in the market. This will also give you insight on the efficacy of the website and your online marketing strategy. With the filter option, you will be able to segregate relevant data from irrelevant ones, making your information accurate for your reporting needs.