LinkedIn is a popular social network sites for professionals, entrepreneurs and the like. If you want to join their growing community, here are some very easy steps to create an account.
- Turn on your computer and open your browser. Go to the LinkedIn website. On the right side of the page, you will see a box with a blue heading that says “Join LinkedIn Today.” You will see a bunch of fields for first and last name, email address and password followed by a green “Join Now” button.
- Fill it all up, all these fields are required. Put in your first name on the first name field and last name on the last name field. Type in a valid email address because you will be asked to confirm your registration through email. Lastly, create your password. Make sure it is something that you will not forget. It is also important that your password consists of at least 6 characters. Click on the “Join Now” button.
- The next page will consist of blank fields. This is where you start building your profile. Since it is a business social networking site, the first field that you will see is “I am currently:” then a drop-down button with options that includes employed, a business owner, looking for work, working independently and a student. Choose accordingly and move on to the next field that asks for your company name. Put in the name of your business and an industry field will appear. Select from the options given in the drop-down menu. Fill in the job title field and choose your country by again, using the drop-down menu. Lastly, type in your postal. All fields that are marked with red asterisk signify that you are required to fill it. No red asterisks means that the field is optional and you don't have to write your information down if you don't want to. Click on the next button.
- Step 2 will show that LinkedIn can log you in to your existing email account. You will see a heading that states “See Who You Already Know on LinkedIn.” You will then see a blue box that says “Searching your email contacts is the easiest way to find people you already know on LinkedIn.” You will notice a bunch of logos of major email providers such as Yahoo, Gmail, Windows Live and AOL. This step is optional and you do not have to do this if you don't want to. There is a button at the bottom right part of the page that says “Skip this step.” Click on that to move on to step 3.
- By now, a notification page will show. It should say “Confirm Your Email Address.” There will be a message that states “A confirmation email has been sent to ________. Click on the confirmation link in the email to activate your account.” Follow the instruction. Open your email account and look for LinkedIn's message. Click on the confirmation link that you will see in the body of the message and it will automatically lead you to your personal business home page in LinkedIn. You have successfully created and activated your account.
Becoming a LinkedIn member is free. Like any other social sites, it focuses on connecting people from all over the world. This can definitely open a lot of opportunities!