With the advance of technology, more and more processes and activities are done and can be found online. For businesses, their brochures, ads, and even internal processes can be done digitally, making them paperless. Textbooks can be done digitally as well. There are a lot of ebooks available—as many as there are paperback books in the world. Because they are easy to make and the output can be accessed by anyone, anywhere and anytime, digital textbooks are creating a loyal following.
If you have written a book and are thinking of how to distribute it and in what medium, you should consider choosing to go online. Because it is easier, and it would be easier to access your target market as well, digital textbooks are the way to go. Here are the steps and some tips on how you can create your digital textbook.
- Compress your file. Compress the files that you would include in your e-book by running them through WinZip. This program will compress your files and convert them to a self-extracting file. This will allow the file to be installed in any of the directories of the computer for the one reading or opening it. WinZip is downloadable online, and you can be ready with a link on your site where readers can download WinZip. For the ease of your readers, you could also include an ‘unzipped’ version of your book. Those who are not comfortable working with WinZip can download this file version.
- Next, for security purpose, scan your files for viruses. Make sure you use updated versions of virus scanners to ensure no virus gets attached to your file. You want your readers to enjoy your book, and not blame you for any virus affecting their computer because of their download.
- Upload your ebook to your webhost’s server. Using FTP, you can upload your digital textbooks and provide a link for it afterwards.
- In providing a link to your digital textbook, you can make it as simple as the usual “Click here for download” caption, or you can add a little more sales spiel into it.
- Try to download, extract and read the ebook yourself. Your digital textbook might be there, but if your readers can’t extract and read it, your efforts would have been futile.
- Advise your readers on any specifications that they may need, like the size of the file, the recommended reader, and other details. This will ensure that your digital textbook is low on maintenance, as you can just relax knowing that every download is going smoothly.
After you have created your ebook, you are now on the way to printing success. You can create as many digital textbooks as you like. With more gadgets like mobile phones and pocket ebook readers available, more and more people are switching to ebooks that are easier to carry and faster to access than paperback textbooks. Enjoy creating them with the thought of making a profitable business, or for the sheer satisfaction of sharing your knowledge.