As in the past, Encyclopedia Britannica has printed reference books that are staples in every school and home library. Britannica made a commitment to provide quality reference materials by updating their content annually. However, to keep up with the changing times and technology, the company has also made their reference materials available electronically. Encyclopedia Britannica is available as computer software and this has made it very popular among students who are heavy computer users.
The Encyclopedia Britannica can be bought online and the DVD software can be shipped to your house. There is also the option of downloading it from the Internet. Here are some things you should know when downloading Encyclopedia Britannica:
- Find an online software reseller where you can buy and download the latest Encyclopedia Britannica software. If you try visiting Encyclopedia Britannica's product homepage, you will notice that there is no option to buy and download the software. You can only buy the DVD or CD-Rom software and it will be shipped to you. However, there are online software resellers where you can purchase the software to download. One such online reseller is Software.com. Try to shop around first and look for the cheapest offer, and be on guard against sites that may be scams.
- Check the system requirements of the software and make sure that your computer can accommodate the software installation. The Encyclopedia Britannica software can be installed both on Windows and Mac computers but your computer should have at least 512 MB RAM and has 1024 x 768 resolution as the software is high on computer graphics. Allot at least 4.2 GB of hard disk space for full installation. Only once you are sure that your computer has met these requirements can you proceed with the online purchase.
- Purchase the Encyclopedia Britannica software from your reseller of choice. Pay with your credit card or through Paypal. Before you enter sensitive information, check first if the site is secure. Look for the "lock icon" at the lower right corner (for Internet Explorer) or lower left corner (for Mozilla Firefox) of your Internet browser. Click on the icon to be sure and the site's address should be https://.
- Download the software and install it on your computer. Once you have downloaded the software, run the set up to install it to your computer. You may opt to start signing up on Britannica Online. One-year registration comes free with the package anyway.
- Enjoy reading important facts from the encyclopedia. Make sure you maximize all the extra resources that come with the package. Explore the multimedia and interactive tools. Use the Homework Helpdesk and Work Space for Project Management to your advantage.
Encyclopedia Britannica has been the best friend of students throughout the years. It has provides valuable information as a dependable reference material for children and adults alike. It has withstood time as the encyclopedia of choice because of its content that showed intelligence, depth and accuracy.