The process of deleting files permanently from a hard drive is not as easy as sending it to the Recycle Bin. In fact, even the process of emptying the computer’s Recycle Bin does not erase files completely. Hence, if for one reason or another you want to erase your files permanently, you must know how to properly and successfully do a permanent removal of the files on the computer’s hard drive.
The only way you can be certain that your files are deleted permanently is when they cannot be recovered by whatever means, be it technical knowledge or recovery software. To help you be successful in this task, here’s the proper guide on how to permanently remove hard drive files:
- Entire hard drive deletion. If your goal is to permanently get rid of everything in the hard drive, here’s how you can do it:
- Download a program. There are certain applications that can be downloaded from the Internet to help you in this process. Look for reliable programs in the market. There are programs that ask for a fee but others are offered for free.
- Burn the program to a CD. Upon download, burn the software to a bootable CD. Insert the CD into the drive and then restart the computer.
- Follow instructions from the deletion software. When the CD is booted, follow the options as instructed by the dialog box on the screen. Choose the type of hard drive deletion you want to do. The rest will be the works of the software already.
- Selective hard drive deletion. This will work if you wish to delete only a few files permanently from the hard drive. Here's how you can do this:
- Download a file shredder. A file shredder is a program that works to overwrite files you select to make them permanently deleted from the hard drive. There are a lot of file shredders in the Internet that you can choose. However, make sure you choose a reliable and efficient shredder to work for your needs. Same with the program for deleting the entire hard drive, there are paid and free programs you can get for yourself.
- Shred the files. The process of shredding the files depends upon the program you have selected. Most free programs can help you permanently delete the files in as easy as dragging and dropping chosen files into the shredder. However, other advanced versions of shredders can work differently.
- Practice caution. When deleting files permanently, take note that they are already unrecoverable once the process has ended. So if you don’t want to regret in the end, before you shred or delete files, make sure that you do not need them anymore for whatever reason.
With the advent of technology, deleting files permanently is already
possible. In fact, the process is even simple and easy. With the help of
certain programs from the Internet, successfully doing this task is as
easy as 1-2-3. However, always keep in mind to be cautious every time
you decide to permanently delete files from the hard drive. You already
know the consequences if you don’t.