To keep pace with this hi-tech world, it is important to have a fast and uninterrupted Internet connection. Big cities don't face this problem anymore because of faster broadband connection. But people and businesses in small towns and remote places are still grappling with the problem of slow dial up connection or they simply don't have any Internet connection.
That's why people in such places are increasingly opting for Satellite Internet connection. This new grade of high-speed Internet service has benefits such as powerful bandwidth, uninterrupted uptime connection, great download capacity, and is perfect for multiple users. Besides it does not have any geographical limitations that are typical of terrestrial connection.
To get your own satellite Internet connection, you will need the following:
- A Pentium II 333 MHz or faster desktop or a laptop
- Windows 98SE and Windows Me with 64MB RAM, while for Windows 2000 and Windows XP the requirement is 128MB RAM
- Free hard drive space of 20 MB
- One extra USB port
- CD-ROM drive
- A solid roof to install the satellite dish antenna
- A clear view of the sky
Here's how you can get a satellite Internet connection for your home or business no matter where you are based.
- Analyze your specific requirements of Internet connection along with the number of users who will be plugging into it. You will need to assess whether you will require the satellite internet connection for only data transfer and surfing or for heavier downloads.
- Find a good, reputed satellite Internet service provider who offers satellite internet connection in your desired location.
- To get a connection of satellite Internet connection, you have to place an order. Check out the various broadband speeds and packages offered by the satellite internet services provider and the number of concurrent users the packages can serve. Select the broadband plan that will suit your requirements and you can book it either online or calling up or approaching any of their registered centres.
- Fix a date for the installer to come at the desired location for a site survey. The installer will tell you where the dish will be installed and how the whole set-up will look like. The installer will then fix a date when the satellite Internet connection will be actually installed.
- After the thorough site survey, the installer will submit the report to the Department of Telecommunications that covers the region for site clearance.
- The suggestion given by the installer regarding the set-up must be considered. At times, there might be a requirement of a solid base to install the heavy dish antenna.
- Once the Department of Telecommunications gives a green signal to proceed with the installation task, schedule an appointment with the installer to deliver the equipment and install it at your desired location.
- The installer will come on the pre-fixed date to install the satellite dish along with the indoor unit.
- The required software program for satellite Internet connection will be installed on your computer by the installer.
- Your account for satellite Internet connection will be activated after which the satellite dish is ready to send and receive information over the Internet.
- In case you face any problem in using the satellite Internet connection, call the installer or the company's service centre for technical support.
Tips and warnings
- Collect information related to the satellite Internet service provider by reading their previous customers' reviews and if possible, contact them and ask them about their experience.
- Find out all the service providers of your area and compare the packages offered by them.
- Look for a plan that comes with a trial period option to make sure that you are satisfied with the service before going for it.
- Choose a reliable company that has a good track record, has a neatly laid out service agreement and provides state of the art equipment.