When you open an internet browser, it may show a website which helps you find webpages containing the keywords you specify. Sometimes, it may show a blank page. Though you may type the address of your preferred website in the address box, it becomes a nuisance when you have to do this every time you open your internet browser. Here are some steps to help you get rid of the about:blank page, to make your internet browsing sessions quicker and hassle-free.
- Find your internet browser. Look for your internet browser in the Start menu. If you haven't found it immediately, click the All Programs option and search the list of programs. If it's not on the list, click the My Computer button, then click Program Files, then search the individual folders. Take note that the internet browser may have a different name. If this is the case, use the search function of your computer to find it. If you're using another device aside from a computer, consult its manual to find how to access the internet browser.
- Open the internet browser. Click on the picture or the name of the internet browser to make it run. If it doesn't open, try clicking on it twice. If it still doesn't work, check whether your computer or device is running properly. Viruses or malware may be preventing the internet browser from opening properly. It may mean that your internet browser is out-of-date, incompatible with the operating system, or have bugs.
- Click Tools. The internet browser has a Tools option located at the menu bar. Click on this until the Tools menu appears. If you can't find the Tools option, search around the internet browser until you find an option, which allows you to change the browser's settings.
- Click Options. Look around the Tools menu until you find Options. Some browsers have Internet Options; click on this item. If you don't find it, changing the internet browser settings may be restricted to you. Modify the computer or device's security settings, or have someone do it for you.
- Change the settings. Find the option that allows you to choose what page appears when the internet browser opens. Deselect ‘blank page' and select ‘home page.'
- Specify the homepage. Type the address of the website you want to appear every time you open the browser. You may copy then paste the address of the website to the box; or, open your preferred website, then press ‘current page' to make it the homepage.
- Make new tabs open to the home page. This makes all new tabs open to the home page that you have specified. Go to the Tabs option and select ‘open home page.'
- Get Help. If you are having problems, press the Help button. You may search for help in the internet as well.
- Tell other people. Other people who are using the internet browser may change the settings and make the blank page reappear. Tell them to refrain from changing the internet browser settings as you prefer the browser to open up to the home page instead of a blank page.
The about:blank page appears when you haven't specified a website as a home page. Think about the website you frequently visit or use as a search engine, and make it your home page. Be careful of choosing a home page, as some websites may cause your computer to have viruses and malware.