Home personal computers should be protected the same way you protect your office computers. You should be confident that your home computer is protected online and offline against viruses, with the use of an enhanced virus scanner. With a virus-free high performance PC, you can handle run several applications at once, without the risk of computer crashes. Your personal information will also remain safe from Trojans that can steal your passwords, account numbers, and other private documents and files. For your computer to function smoothly, here are some tips:
- Check your computer's operating system and hardware status. Compatibility is a big issue when it comes to software protection. Some new antivirus programs will not run when specific system requirements are not met.
- Visit an antivirus vendor's website. Here, you can choose either free antivirus programs, or paid programs. Paid programs have several features that make computer protection easier and more efficient.
- Download the file, using the link button. A pop-up box will appear on your screen. It will prompt you to save the file to your hard disk. Do this, and then open the file once download is finished.
- Right click the file and wait for the program to install itself on your computer.
- Remember that most computer antivirus software products are not compatible with other antivirus programs. This means that you should not install two programs in one computer.
- Run the system scan in the antivirus program, to scan your entire computer.
- Enable the automatic update in your PC, to ensure that your virus databases are up to date. Also update your operating system by downloading security patches whenever available.
- When using your computer for Internet browsing, use LinkScanner, which will determine the sites that can harm you - even before you click on the links that will lead you to the site.
- Scan disk and other storage media with anti-virus programs once in a while, to ensure that you have a clean computer.
- Visit forums to be updated on the latest computer viruses, their symptoms, and how to remove them from your system.
If you are using Windows for your computer's operating system, you also have the added advantage of Windows Defender, which comes fully integrated with all versions of Windows Vista. You can also download the program for Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.
New viruses are found "in the wild" all the time. The speed with which these new viruses spread is rising. Most antivirus programs, however, can give you fair protection against virus attacks. Some of the best antivirus programs for you to try out are Kaspersky, Avast, Avira, and AVG. except for Kaspersky, these antivirus programs also come with free versions. You can also install malware detection programs such as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware program, or SuperAntiSpyware. These can be used to scan other types of computer threats that the usual anti-virus program may miss. With these easy - and usually free - steps, you can protect your computer software from threats.