If you play in a band or you want to record your own songs on your computer, you can do so by connecting the guitar amp to your PC. It is really easy to do this. All you need is a cable to connect the amp to your PC and you are good to go. Follow the steps provided below to know how you can hook a guitar amp up to a PC.
Read and follow these instructions when connecting your guitar amp to a computer:
- Purchase the right cable. The first thing that you need to do is to purchase a cable that will connect your amp to your PC. The best cable to use for this job is the Lightsnake USB instrument cable from Soundtech. This cable is easy to use since one of the ends is a USB that you can connect to the port on your computer. You can order the Lightsnake cable from the official website of Soundtech at soundtech.com.
- Inspect components. Inspect the components of the Lightsnake to see if they are complete. You should have the USB cable, adaptor, driver CD, software demo and the user’s manual.
- Connect cable. Turn on your computer and wait for it to boot up completely. Get one end of the Lightsnake and plug it into your amp. Get the other end and plug it into one of the USB ports on your computer. Make sure that your amp is powered up so that your computer can detect the device.
- Install software. Some computers will automatically detect the Lightsnake on the machine. If your computer does not detect Lightsnake, insert the driver CD that came with the package and follow the prompts on the screen to complete the installation process. When the installation is complete, you will see a shortcut for the Lightsnake on the desktop.
- Launch program. Launch the music recorder that you use on your computer and open a sound file. Test to see if the sound comes out from the amp. If not, you might have the wrong settings. Set your audio output to ‘Lightsnake’. This should fix the problem.
- Record music. Use your program to record some music using your guitar. Save the file and play it back to see if the Lightsnake works properly.
- Ejecting Lightsnake. Just like any other device you plug on your computer, you have to eject the Lightsnake before you disconnect the USB cable. To do this, click on the device on the system tray and click on eject. Wait for the notification telling you that you can remove the device from your computer before unplugging the USB cable from the port.
Now you can record some music using your amp with your computer. The
best thing about using the Lightsnake cable is that you do not need to
purchase a sound card since it already has one inside. Be careful in
handling the Lightsnake cable so that you won’t damage it.