A MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) keyboard is much like a piano. The difference is that the MIDI keyboard is able to work with a computer for recording. MIDI keyboards come in different types. There are those that you can purchase for a few hundred dollars and others sell for thousands. If you have the budget and you are trying to make a career in music, it is better to invest in an expensive MIDI keyboard that will last a long time.
Many musicians use the MIDI keyboard and hook it up to their computers in order to compose some songs and make digital recordings. You can easily hook up your MIDI keyboard to your computer by following simple steps.
Follow these steps to hook up your MIDI keyboard to your computer:
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for hooking up your keyboard are music software, a universal MIDI connector and a MIDI cable. You can purchase these from any electronics or music store. Your computer should also have a soundcard that you can use for the MIDI keyboard. You can consult someone at the music store to help you with this.
- Look for output. Inspect what type of sound output you have on your computer. If you have a MIDI port, then hooking up your MIDI keyboard will be easier for you. If the only port available is a joystick port, you need to purchase an adapter so that you can connect the MIDI keyboard to your computer.
- Use USB MIDI interface. If a MIDI output or joystick output is not available on your computer, then you can use a USB MIDI interface. You can connect the MIDI keyboard on the interface and connect the USB to an available port on your computer.
- Universal MIDI connector. Get your universal MIDI connector and use the input plug to connect it to the MIDI keyboard’s output.
- Install the driver. Now you have to install the drivers for the USB connection. Insert the installation disc that came with your USB connection. Wait for the prompts for installation on the screen. Follow the instructions and wait for the installation to finish.
- Test the MIDI keyboard. Open the music software that you use on your computer. Try and record a few scales using your MIDI keyboard. You should see the track being recorded on the software. Play back the track to see if you have successfully hooked up the MIDI keyboard to your computer.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to hook up a MIDI
keyboard to your computer. Remember to read the user’s manual for
connecting the MIDI keyboard to your computer as the instructions may
vary. Now you can easily do some recording at home with the use of your
MIDI keyboard and music software. Remember to take care of your MIDI
keyboard, especially if you have an expensive one since the repair can
be quite expensive.