A wireless access point or WAP is a tool that provides Internet access to different devices. The wireless access point is connected to a wired network. To install a wireless access point, you first have to install a wireless router. It is best to have the wireless router at a central location in the house so that there is better reception for the different areas in the house. Make sure that you set up the firewall for security. After this, you can set up the wireless access point.
Here are the steps in installing the wireless access point:
- Install wireless access point and test. The first thing you have to do is to install one wireless access point and see if you are happy with the range. If you are not happy with the range, you can change the location of the wireless access point until you are happy with the signal strength and the speed of the Internet connection that you are getting. Choose a connection point where there will be no hindrances for the signal, such as thick walls.
- Set IP addresses of access points. The next thing to do is to set a different IP address for each access point. You can do this by accessing the IP address setting on the ‘Control Panel’.
- Configure the access points. After setting the unique IP addresses, you can now configure the wireless networking points. For this, you will need the software that came with your wireless router. You will need this so that you can automatically configure all the access points without having to do all of the work yourself. The software that came with the access router can configure all the access points. All you have to do is to configure one access point. If you do not have the software, you have to manually configure all access points, and this may take a long time to do.
- Give SSID. The SSID or Service Set Identifier is the name that you will give to the access points in your network. You have to provide the same SSID for all the access points. This is to avoid choosing a different connection every time you change places in your home or office.
- Wireless antennas. For wireless access points, it is better to use an antenna that is directional. These types of antennas can contain the wireless signals and direct them to the areas where you need them.
These are the steps on how to install a wireless access point in your own home or office. These wireless access points can also be used in public places. They are known as hotspots. Through hotspots, people can access the Internet using their laptops and other wifi ready devices. In order to have the best signal and reception in your house, you have to find an open space to put the router. The placing of the router will determine how fast and effective your Internet connection will be.