Set up video as wallpaper on your desktop? Nice idea, I think -- it is definitely the new thing. A few months ago, this option on PC was available only for Windows Vista Ultimate users. They are still able to add Windows DreamScene components via free Windows Update service. But now you can have video wallpaper on any version of Windows!
Of course, if you ever decide to go back to those static wallpapers, I recommend checking out the cool HD images available at infinitydesktops.com.
Loading video wallpaper to your desktop is simple - the free VLC media player helps you to get this effect.
- Go to the VLC media player web page. Download the latest version of VLC media player for Windows (9.3 MB).
- Double-click the downloaded self-extracting package (vlc-0.8.6e-win32.exe). Then follow the instructions and install VLC media player. By the way, you can select whatever language you prefer.
- Start VLC media player. Select Settings -> Preferences. Preferences dialog box appears.
- In the left pane of the Preferences dialog, click Video -> Output modules -> DirectX. Click the Advanced Options check box in the lower right corner of the window. Click the Enable Wallpaper Mode check box. Press the Save button.
- In the main window of the player, click File -> Open File. Open... a dialog box appears. Click Browse, and select the video file you want to install as video wallpaper. Click OK.
Now you got it! The selected video is playing right on your desktop. To turn off this effect, right-click on video inside the VLC media player and uncheck the Wallpaper option.
Important note for Mac users: there is a way to obtain the exact same feature on the latest version of Mac OS Tiger.
- You will also need to download and install VLC media player.
- Then start it and select Settings -> Preferences.
- In Preferences dialog box, select Interface -> Main Interface -> Use as Desktop Background.
VLC media player is also available for different *nix operating systems.
Enjoy! But you may not want to select video with some really loud and hard music.