Skype is a web-based calling service that allows you to place or receive calls over your high-speed internet connection rather than a conventional phone line. You can use Skype to contact other Skype users (which is free) or call any other phone number worldwide. Here's how to make a conference call on Skype:
- Sign up for Skype. To use Skype to make a conference call, first you'll need to sign up for Skype. Skype requires a computer with internet access, as well as a speaker and microphone. Sign up for Skype service, and then download and install the Skype program. Once you sign up, you'll be given a user name and password. Log in to your Skype account to begin the process of making a conference call on Skype. Before you initiate the call, make sure you have sufficient funds in your Skype account or a calling plan that will cover the costs of your conference call. When calling to another Skype number, the call will be free, but you will need to pay to connect with any participants who are not using Skype. Test your microphone and speaker to be sure they are working properly.
- Add participants to your conference list. Adding all potential participants to your Skype contact list (under the Contacts tab of your Skype window) will allow you to easily invite them to the call on the specified date and time.
- Let participants know about the conference call. Don't forget to let them know about the call at least several days in advance so that they will be available to connect when you call them.
- Invite participants to your conference call. Find those on your contact list who you'd like to invite to the call. Right click on their name, and then select ”Invite to Conference.” This will work whether the potential participant is using Skype or conventional phone service; the other conference call participants do not need to also have Skype. You can also go to “Tools – Create a Conference Call” to select invitees from your list of contacts. If you wish to invite people who are not already on your contact list, you can dial them using the Skype Dialpad.
- Click “start.” Click “start” once you're ready to begin the conference call. Skye will dial each conference participant, which can take a couple of minutes depending on how many different numbers you have entered. Once the “connected” box opens, you can start the conference.
- Add people to the call. You can invite additional people to your conference call or to a two-party cal that is already in progress. Simply click the “add people” button, and select the invitee's name from your contact list. You can add up to 24 different numbers to a conference call. You can also remove people by clicking on their profile in the Connected box and clicking “remove from conference.” If some of the conference participants are also Skype users, you can send private messages or open a private chat through their Skype profile.
- End the call. Once your conference call is over, click the red button on the bottom of the “connected “ box. You will be asked if you really want to end the conference.
- Create a group for frequent calls. If you plan to hold multiple conference calls with the same participants, create a group within your contacts list. This will make it easy to invite them to the conference call all at once.
Making a conference call on Skype has become an easy way to make free calls involving more than two parties. Skype is easy to set up, and can be used to conference with those who have regular land-line or cell phones in addition to other Skype users.