MySpace is a social networking website that has many things that you can do. It is the third most popular website U.S. today. MySpace is a great way to meet new people, listen to music, watch videos, and join networking groups that go along with your hobbies or profession.
- Go to your browser.
- Type www.myspace.com in the address bar.
- Click the sign-up link. Once the page loads, there will be two places to click to be able to sign up. One is in the top right hand corner of the screen, and the other is in the box that says MEMBER LOGIN (it will be in its own little orange box).
- Let the next page load and then scroll down and enter all your personal information that it asks for. You must agree to their terms of service and private policy. You can read both of those if you want to read all that mumbo jumbo. If you don't have an email address, then got to Hotmail.com or Yahoo.com and sign up for one -- it's free! Also, your MySpace password will need at least one number.
- The next page will show an image with weird looking letters and numbers -- this is called a captcha. It's a way to keep spammers off of MySpace. The letters are not case-sensitive and can be lower-cased even while the letters in the picture are capital letters. Then click Submit.
- On the next page, safety tips will be shown about posting pictures and personal info. Click the box at the end of that block of text. You can choose to upload a picture from your computer by pressing the Browse button. A screen will pop up and you can find a picture of you or whatever you want, then click it and click Open. The screen will close and you then press Upload and the photo will upload. For ease of just creating the account, at first you can just click Skip for now at the bottom of the page.
- Invite friends if you'd like. Once your photo is uploaded, it will take you to a new page that allows you to invite your friends by typing their email addresses and separating them with commas. You can also just skip over this by using the button at the bottom of the page.
- Whether you do step 7 or skip it, you will be taken to your home page. At your home page there will be a message in big red letters saying you will need to verify your account. To do this you must go to your email and open the message from MySpace. Once you're back to your MySpace, a message will pop up and tell you about the new friends update. You can read that or choose to ignore it; either way, click the OK button to close out of it.
- Create your URL. Once your account is verified, or even before, you can go to below, in that little red box, where it says "Hello (your first name here)!" and click where it says click here in blue letters to create your URL. Choose your URL wisely because once you pick it, you cannot change it.
- Edit your profile. After that you can go to the top of the page and click where it says in blue letters 'Edit Profile'. This will bring you to a new page.
On this page is your personal info. You can make your headline whatever you want. You can write whatever you want in the space they provide on that page.
- After you do what you want on that page, go back to the top of the page and click Save all changes. Then go to under where it says Interest & Personality, and click Name.
- On this page you can change your display name to whatever you want. This will be what is shown to everyone and what is under your picture on other people's profiles. You can also change the name that people would use to search for you. Make sure you save all your changes before going to another page.
- Keep going through each tab -- basic info, background & lifestyle, schools, etc.
- Modify account settings. Return to the top of the page and on the right hand side there will be words that say Account Settings. Click it. This will take you to where you can modify your account. You can change the email address where they send notifications of any message, comments, and other things on MySpace. You can turn off notifications here too.
- You can click the password tab and this will bring you to a page where you can change you password if needed.
- If you click on the privacy tab it will take you to a page when you can change the setting and level or privacy you want. The little grey box at the bottom of the page explains what all the things on that page are about.
- The spamtab takes you to the page to control your communications, such as comments. Again there is a little grey box at the bottom to explain to you what things are for.
- There is the notification tab which is self explanatory.
- The mobile tab is for use if you have a mobile phone and want to get notifications through texts.
- The calendar is used to show your work week and events, and if you do not choose No One under 'Share Calendar With:' then your friends will be able to see it.
- Misc. tab is used to change some other things on you profile. A grey box at the bottom will explain the items on the page.
- For music just go to the music tab at the top of the page and search for the artist you want. Beside their song on the music player, it will say Add in black letters. If you click that, it will bring you to a new page and ask if you really want this song and if you do click Add this song to my profile. If not, press Cancel.
REMEMBER TO SAVE BEFORE SWITCHING TABS!!!
- Choose your page layout. To get a layout for your page just go to Google and type in MySpace layouts and it will give you more sites than you will need.