Facebook has become one of the most popular networking sites. You must be one of the people who spend hours updating your wall and photos. Most of your time must probably be spent playing those cool popular Facebook applications that you need to constantly visit to increase your level. When you join different groups, become a fan of anyone or play games, you might forget that you are giving away your personal information; even your status shows your whereabouts. This could be a risk to your privacy. If you want to make your Facebook private, read on.
- Go to your Facebook account by logging in with your email address and password. If you are using a shared computer, make sure that your password is not set up to be automatically entered by not ticking the box that says “keep me logged in” or declining when asked for such.
- On the top most part, shaded by blue, you can see “Settings”. This is the default—“Settings” will show up first on the upper right side of your screen. Click on that and it will show you a page with different tabs. The second to the last category is Privacy where it states “control information you share.” At the end of this line you will see the word “manage.” Move your mouse to the word and it will be immediately underlined, then click on it.
- Your page will show up Privacy Settings. This page will show Profile Information, Contact Information, Applications and Websites, Search and Block list.
- The Profile information limits who can view your profile and who can post shoutouts, messages, photos, etc. on your wall. You can even click on a preview of how your Facebook profile will appear to other people who view it. Once you click on this category, it will take you to a page where you can see edit settings. Here you can choose whether to make your page accessible to friends only or friends of friends.
- Your phone number, address, personal email address can be there for all to see if you do not make your account private. Edit your settings again on how others can view you by clicking on edit settings.
- Joining games can be fun but can be a risk. Click on the category Applications and websites. What you can do here is click on edit settings and it will show you a long list where you can tick information you only want to show. You can also block receiving some types of application or application requests sent in by anyone.
- You can take your self away from public searches by choosing “Search.” Uncheck the box that says “allow” next to Public search and you’re hidden from searches.
- On the Block category, you can stop a specific person or group to interact with you completely. Just put in the name or the email address and you can sleep well at night.
It is recommended that you keep your Facebook private if it is for personal use. Anything you post can be stolen, even your information. Be diligent with your privacy. You never know what kind of cyber thief is out there.