QuickBooks is well-known software widely used by businesses to manage and perform bookkeeping tasks. As you regularly use the software, you will eventually notice a decline in performance. To prevent that, here are some recommendations to make QuickBooks run faster on your computer.
1. Put hardware upgrades on the computer where QuickBooks is running
Adding more RAM to computers where you operate QuickBooks will surely enhance your user experience when running the program. Of course, besides QuickBooks, other programs would also benefit from the added RAM.
2. Consider upgrading your version to the latest one.
Grab the latest version of QuickBooks if you are using an older version like QuickBooks Pro. Versions of QuickBooks from 2007 onwards, has a utility called “QuickBooks server” that would considerably enhance performance, especially when it is being used by a number of users at one time. The newest version, QuickBooks 2010, offer more features that will continue in assisting you to keep your business up and about. If you are using QuickBooks 2007, you may want to consider upgrading it now because Intuit, Inc. will no longer support QuickBooks 2007 after May 31, 2010.
3. Continuously maintain your computer.
The following are some recommendations that you should do to maintain a healthy computer system.
- Delete all old and unnecessary files.
- Regularly back up your data by burning them on a CD or DVD so that you can free up some space on your hard drive.
- Uninstall any software that you do not use.
- Defrag your hard drive once every two weeks. Data stored on your computer are more often than not, saved in different sectors of the hard drive. This is because Windows would store your data on the first empty slot that it finds, so this means that your data are physically not together. Defragging the hard drive will help you move all fragments of files and store them in one spot for easier access. This will greatly help the performance of your hard drive because it would no longer need to locate all fragments of the file before launching the data you are requesting.
- Do disk cleanup at least once a week. Disk cleanup is a system tool found on Microsoft’s Operating Systems. It helps you remove files that your operating system temporarily stores on your hard drive and repossess all the disk space these temporary files used up.
- Install or regularly update your anti-virus software. The slowdown on your computer maybe caused by viruses or Trojan worms.
4. Setup a time that users can use QuickBooks.
If users run the software simultaneously, it will surely cause a system slow down. You may want to endorse that all departments use the program on a specific time to reduce slow downs in the server.
After performing the above recommendations, you will notice a considerable increase in performance when running QuickBooks.