Gears software is a Web browser tool that enables users to add some applications and features on the Web browser window. This software was developed by Google and was first released in 2007. You can download and install the software for free by going to the Web site tools.google.com. Gears supports Windows XP and Vista, Windows Mobile, Mac, Linux and Android.
Here is more information on how you can use the Gears software:
- System Requirements - The first thing you have to check is if Gears is compatible with your Web browser. If you are using Mozilla Firefox, you have to make sure that it is version 1.5 or later versions. Windows users must be running on the XP or the Vista operating system. For Mac users, you must be running on OS X version 10.4 or later.
- Using Google Gears Offline - One of the features of Google Gears is that you can work or run programs on the Web while you are on offline mode. The key elements to these features are the Local Server API and the manifest file. These elements copy the resources of the Web application on the cache. This makes the program available to run even in offline mode.
- Web Applications Using Google Gears - There are a lot of Web applications that you can make us of when you have Google Gears installed. Some of them are Google Reader, Zoho Writer, Remember the Milk, Pass Pack, Google Docs, MySpace and Wordpress. These applications are some of the reasons why you should make use of Google Gears.
Here is more information on the Web Applications:
- Remember the Milk - Remember the Milk is an application that will help you in managing your tasks and your schedule. This is one of the first applications enabled by Gears. This application mostly takes advantage of the work offline mode of Google Gears. You can create notes, tasks, reminders and access all the information you have even when you are not online.
- Pass Pack - The Pass Pack application is a password manager. With this application, you will never have to worry about re-typing or forgetting your passwords. You can download the data from your Pass Pack account even when you are working offline.
- Google Docs - Google Docs is a word processor from Google Gears. It allows other users to edit and view the files that are shared online. With Google Gears, the documents can be viewed and edited even if you are working offline.
These are some of the ways in which you can use Google Gears to increase the functionality of your Web browser. If you wish to know more about how Google Gears works, you can view the tutorials page on the Web site at code.google.com. You can make use of the developer's guide to be able to maximize your use of the Gears software. Be sure to check out the guide page regularly as there may be improvements and new plug-ins that you can use for Google Gears.