Seeing someone play the piano with dexterity and aplomb may make you wish that you could do the same. Hearing beautiful music being played on the piano evokes feelings of serenity and romance. It can make you jump up and dance to a lively beat. Classical music played on the piano sounds so soothing and relaxing. Alas, not all of us are born with the musical talent to play the piano. A piano is an expensive musical instrument and it is considered a major investment. Today, you can learn to play the piano virtually. There are several websites that offer online courses and with a full sized piano that you can play online.
If you want to try your hand at playing the piano online before signing up for lessons, here’s what you should do.
- Go to one of the numerous sites on the Internet. You can check Virtual Piano, or The Virtual Piano.
- Check out The Virtual Piano website. It displays a full set of piano keys with real crisp piano sound. You can listen to each note by clicking the individual keys that are properly labeled. There are twelve keys ranging from G to G#.
- You select a key by pressing one of the 12 key buttons. Small numbers from one to seven will be displayed on top of the piano keys. They indicate which notes are in the selected key. You can play a particular note by clicking a number.
- On the right side of the piano is a key signature that will show how many black notes are included in the selected key. It shows the sharp or the flat notes but not both types of notes together.
- There are 14 colored rectangular buttons below the piano keys representing the chords. The color of the buttons changes when you select a different key. The upper row of buttons is numbered from one to seven representing the notes that naturally occur in the selected key. You can play them by clicking on them with the mouse or by pressing the numbers on your computer keyboard with the Numlock on.
- The second row of colored buttons are labeled A, S, D, F, G, H, and J and can also be played by pressing the corresponding letters on the computer keyboard. These are not included in the selected key and may or may not be used at all.
- As you play the chords the piano keyboard will show you the combination of chord notes and you can see the name of the note in the central box located on top of the piano keys, such as G, F, Am, Em, Dm and so on.
- The up and down arrows on your keyboard can be used to change the key while the left and right arrows when pressed will make the chords play lower or higher inversions.
Get some sheet music and practice playing the piano virtually. You can get some do-it-yourself training while having fun. Once you are more familiar with how the virtual piano is set up and can recognize the chords, you can look for other pianos that you can play online where you have the option to record your playing and have a selection of drumbeats as accompaniment.