If your business has a website, or if you have an online portfolio that you use to attract clients, you should seriously consider getting your own Internet domain. A domain not only gives your business an address on the Internet-it makes it easier for customers or clients to identify and remember your services. In fact, if you manage to snag a good enough Internet domain, people don't even have to search for you. They can just try their luck by simply typing yourbusinessname in their browser. Another good reason to get a domain is that you can do a domain transfer when you switch web hosts. This means you don't have to inform your clients or customers about a change in URL. All they have to do is type your domain name and they will be directed to your site, no matter who is hosting you. It is also easier to get sponsors or advertisers on your website if you have a domain name.
Getting a domain name is very easy and cheap. There are many places that offer low cost domains and cheap domain registers. Read on to find out how to register a domain name.
- Take your time thinking of a domain name you want to use. Don't choose a generic name like pizza.com because chances are, it will already be taken (and it is). Your Internet domain name should also be your business name so that it's easy for customers to remember you. But what if the domain name you want isn't available? It depends on how committed you are to that name. If the name that you want is something you're already known for, you can try to buy the domain name from the current owner. But if you're just starting out, you might want to find an available domain first then name your business after the domain you can get.
- Get the DNS IP address and the name of the primary and secondary name servers from your web host. Don't worry if you don't know what these means; you can obtain this information from the FAQs.
- Get your PayPal or credit card ready to pay for your domain.
- If you do not have a web host yet, you can use these domain registrations to park your Internet domain at a temporary site while you set up your website. These domain registrations allow you to grab your domain name before anyone else gets to them.
Here are some popular registration sites where you can get your domain name.
- GoDaddy.Com - This is the world's largest domain registrar that offers low cost domains. You can get a .com name for just $9.99 per year. And with a web interface, you can easily manage your domains. Go Daddy accepts PayPal and credit card.
- Dotster.com - Another popular domain registration site provides cheap domains. They also provide cheap domain transfers at just $8.95.
- Register.Com - One of the first domain registrations on the Internet, Register.Com charges $9.99 per year for a domain.
- Moniker.com - This domain registration lets you register top level domain names. Prices vary depending on the extension.