More and more people are facing problems in disabling the auto lock of their computers. A locked computer does not show a desktop, hence it prevents the user from using the system. Aside from an auto lock from a computer, other users meet different kinds of problems like auto wheel, system lock, alarm lock, and time lock. If you are one of those people, read the tips below to remove the auto lock from your personal computer.
This method works best for Windows. Inactivity of computer is the result of any of the following: Your screen saver is password protected or your computer has a power management problem.
- In case of the screen saver problem, open the screen saver panel. You can do this by pressing right click. Choose “properties”. Click “screen saver”. Uncheck the “password protect” tab.
- Screen saver domains also create auto lock problems. Check the hibernation tab. Make sure that is unchecked.
- If auto lock results to power failure, the best thing to do is to open your control panel. Click “Power Options”. Select the key named “advanced”. Choose the “prompt for password” key. Make sure that it is unchecked.
- To solve the auto lock problem, you may also stop the lock up button of your system.
The succeeding methods are applicable to Vista versions:
- Download a .reg file intended for the removal of computer lock. Numerous web sites offer free download of the file. A panel will pop out. Choose “save”. Save the copy of the downloaded file to your desktop.
- After downloading, click on the file. Press right click. Choose “merge” option. A warning pop out screen will appear. Select the “run” key. Choose “continue”. Press the “yes” tab. Click the “ok” option.
- You need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. You may also log off and on. If the procedures worked properly, delete the downloaded file from your desktop.
Local Group Editor Technique
- Locate the “local group editor” tab. Look for the “user configuration” key. You can find it in the left side of the screen. Click “administrative templates”. Choose the “system” tab. Select “ctrl+alt+del” key.
- Choose “remove lock”. This key is located in the right side of the screen. Select the “properties” tab. Click on the “enabled” option. Choose “ok”.
- Select the “exit” button of the existing window. Test if the changes take effect.
- Turn on your computer. Press the “start” button. Look for the white area. This is the “start search”. In this search box, type “regedit”. Click “enter”.
- A prompt will come out. Choose the “continue” option. Choose the tab “policies”. Select “new and key” tab. Type the word “system”. Click the “enter” key.
- Look at the right pane. Choose an empty lane. Choose “new” and “dword” tabs. Type the phrase “Disable Lock Workstation”. Do not include space between words. Click “enter”.
- Select the “modify” option. Press the number one key in your keyboard. Press “ok”. Check if your modifications take effect.
As you have read, you do not need a technician to solve your problem. It is very easy if you just know what to do. Choose one of the listed techniques to solve your computer auto lock dilemma. You can also be an emergency locksmith to some. Share the unlocking techniques with colleagues and friends.