This is how to run chkdsk on your computer.
- Use disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. First you might want to run a disk defragmenter. You can run that by going to the start menu and then going to programs; from programs you go to accessories and in accessories there is a folder called system tools. Open system tools and click on the defragmenter, and disk clean up. You will want to use both before running chkdsk.
- Let those two operations finish. This may take a while, but sit through it or leave your computer running and work on something else until it finishes. I recommend getting Diskeeper Disk Defragmenter, you can set the defragmenter to run in the background the whole time your computer is on and it will hardly affect your computer's performance. After your computer has been defragged, proceed to step 3.
- Go to the Start menu and open Run...
- Type in chkdsk. A command line screen will pop up.
- Let chkdsk run until it is finished.
- If you have the time, run chkdsk again.
Sometimes it can take a very long time for it to finish, but by letting it do its business, your computer will benefit. Thanks for reading!