The convenience of surfing the Internet anywhere in your home is not a thing of the future anymore. Nowadays, you can enjoy chatting with friends online when you are sunbathing in your pool, sipping a cup of coffee in your backyard, or cuddling comfortably in bed. This is possible with the use of a wireless network.
If you are interested in having this kind of technology either in your office or at home, you might already be asking how to setup this wireless connection. It is a common notion that the steps in how to extend the reach of an Internet connection can only be understood by professionals. However, that is not the real case.
In fact, the steps to set up a connection are easy, and if you are lucky enough, you can start browsing anywhere in your home or office and with two or more computers at the same time in ten minutes or so. Here are four easy steps on how to do it:
1. Prepare your wireless equipment. The very first thing you need to do is to get all this equipment ready:
- Broadband Internet connection. It is better to get an Internet package with a good speed. This is because when you will be using two or more computers at the same time in a wireless network, you will be sharing the speed of the connection. If you get a slow Internet connection, it is normal that you will get slower speed.
- Wireless router. This is the device that converts the connection signals into a wireless relay.
- Wireless adaptor. If you have a computer or laptop that has built-in wireless networking support, you need not have a wireless adaptor. Basically, you need a wireless card so the computer can read the signals coming from the wireless router
2. Connect wireless router. In most cases, when you buy a router, there is a network cable that comes with it. One end of the cable needs to be plugged into the modem and the other end to the WAN port in the router. Afterwards, turn on the modem and after a few minutes, turn on the wireless router. To indicate that it is successfully connected to the modem, the wireless light on the router will be visible.
3. Configure the wireless router that you have. This step actually varies depending on the type of wireless router you have. However, it is common that you need to set up three things for connection and security purposes.
- A unique wireless network name
- A wireless encryption system
- Administrative or security password
4. Connect the computers. If your computer does not have a built-in wireless card, you need to plug in the wireless network adaptor. Then proceed with the configuration process using the CD that comes with the adaptor.
5. Once everything is set, you need to click the network icon located in the taskbar. You will then see all the wireless networks available to your computer. Select your wireless network name and then click Connect. You will now be prompted for the security key that you typed in earlier in the configuration process. Once your computer tells you that you are connected, your work is done.
So indeed, setting up a wireless network is easy. In fact almost everyone can learn how to extend their Internet network in just four simple steps. So now that your work is completed, feel free to experience the ease and comfort the wireless network has to offer.