Sending and receiving mail and exchanging files and data are ways people communicate. Back in the old days, correspondence took a long time. Messengers traveled far and long before the letter or document could reach its destination. Postal services were established in 1639. Taverns and coffee houses were the usual mail drop off locations. Although drop service or delivering mail still relies on a messenger or a postman, sending is much easier now because of post offices.
The use of mail slots and mailboxes became popular in the late 19th century. Mailboxes functioned as drop post for delivered mail. Missing letters in the mailbox became a concern, and that’s why secured mailboxes with keys were created. As technology advanced, sending and receiving mail also progressed. Email was developed and became a breakthrough in the computer world. Email also became one of the mediums of online file sharing.
File sharing clearly is a method of sharing files or data. In computing, file sharing is the process of providing access to stored data. The most common ways to do file sharing are by transferring the file to a removable media like CDs or thumb drives. Aside from tangible file sharing devices, the Internet also offers online file sharing software and applications. Dropbox is one of these applications.
Dropbox is a storage application created by Evenflow Incorporated. It offers file sharing and synchronization. This software is compatible with operating systems like Windows, Linux and Macintosh.
Dropbox is easy and convenient to use. You can access your files even if you are offline. You can even undelete files that have been deleted. File sharing is also simple. You can simply drag and drop files in your friend's or associate's folder, and they will receive a notification telling them the file is already in their Drop box folder.
Here are the steps to share files using Drop box.
- First, you need to download Dropbox and create an account with them. After the download, you will have your own Drop box interface.
- In the Drop box interface, you can create folders and save files or even photos that you want to share.
- Once you have created the folder or files, all you need to do is to right click on the folder and select the Drop box option. Then share this folder from the folder option on the menu.
- After that, you will be asked to type in the Email address of the person you want to share the file with. Once you hit the share button, the file will be sent, and the shared folder or file will appear on the target desktop if they have Dropbox installed. If the receiving email does not have the application, they will receive a notification in their mail inbox.
- You can also view your personal and shared files online by going to the Dropbox website.
Drop box online file sharing is simple and easy to use. Drop box offers free storage space of up to 2MB. If you need more storage, you can upgrade to a paid service by using your Visa or MasterCard account.