With the growth of Internet use come issues associated with it: information security, Internet privacy, and computer security. More and more people access the Internet everyday, and each and everyone has a different purpose. Some only want to play games, others make purchases or do research for school or business, while others will steal information, passwords, or plainly destroy your data or computer.
For businesses, network security and wireless security are crucial because without security in place, when they transfer or access information within the network, others may be able to intercept and view it.
Internet security can be tested and validated through the following:
- Check your anti-virus software. Your test here is as easy as knowing if you have anti-virus software, because if you do, it means your Internet security is one step safer.
- This has many functions such as preventing viruses from destroying your data, distorting your computer performance, making your motherboard crash, or sending and receiving spam mails to your email account.
- This works by scanning every partition and verifies email senders and their respective attachments and then cleans up the virus, quarantine it, or totally delete it. A system notification will be sent to you once the software finds a virus.
- Check your firewalls. Same with anti-virus software, you are now twice as safe with your Internet security if you activate firewalls.
- Just like a firewall at home, computer firewalls protect you from potential harm to your computer. Firewalls block uninvited guests from obtaining personal information or accessing files and documents freely. All other access not permitted or not indicated by you will be blocked so you can be sure that only authorized users (and their corresponding access level) can access your computer.
- You are in luck because most OS have a built-in firewall. Default setting is ‘off' but you can easily change the settings and turn the system on to start protecting you from ‘thieves' or called ‘hackers' in the cyber world.
- Check Anti-Spyware and Malware. They protect your computer from viruses such as:
- Programs that are attached in malicious downloads, applications, or email. Once you install, open, or execute these programs, a virus then invades your computer, without you knowing that the virus is present in the program or email.
- They can also manipulate your system such as obtaining email addresses and sending emails, opening websites without you knowing it, or even stealing passwords in your accounts.
With the right tools (software that is), you can easily check and see how effective your Internet security is. Some of this software is available for download for free. There is a free trial period (usually for a month), where you can test the product for free. After the trial period, you are notified that it has expired and if you are satisfied and feel ‘secured,' you can purchase the software or program.
Also, always read Internet or technology news, they will be able to tell you if there are new computer viruses going around, so you can equip your PC with the corresponding software to counter them.