A ticket exchange website serves as an online marketplace for sellers and buyers of tickets for concerts, sports, theater and similar events even if they have been sold out.
Some ticket exchange websites may serve specifically as a sports exchange, auction exchange, concert exchange or theatre exchange for ticket buyers and sellers. Other websites serve as one-stop shops for most of your ticketing needs whether it's a ticket for a Pittsburgh Steelers football game, Los Angeles Angels baseball, L.A. Lakers basketball, Miami Heat tickets, theatre, concert, etc.
Exchange websites are not ticket brokers. When you buy your tickets, they're not from the website but from individual sellers who set prices themselves. They can be:
- Legitimate ticket brokers
- Ticket holders that can't attend the event or have extra tickets
- Season ticket holders that can't attend a game
Even if tickets have been sold out, it's still possible to purchase tickets through the exchange websites. Some websites even sell tickets until the last minute before the event starts.
How do you sell in ticket exchange websites? Instructions differ from each website.
1. Select the tickets you want to sell.
2. You may have to prepare a few details about the tickets you're selling like the ticket types, determining whether tickets are for general admission or specific seats. Include specific details like the ticket's seating info.
3. Set the price. When pricing your tickets, consider the fees, if any, that the ticket exchange website will take when your tickets sell. You have various pricing options:
- Fixed price: Your ticket prices won't change for the whole duration of your selling period.
- Declining price: The exchange website will automatically decrease your price daily until the event day. You'll have to set a price range for your tickets.
- Market value: Your prices change daily depending on the average price of tickets in a similar section as yours.
4. Set an end date of your tickets' selling period. Email notification is sent to you when your tickets haven't sold by the expiration date. By default, expiration date will usually be the day of the event.
5. Credit or debit card information will be required for fraud protection.
6. When your tickets sell, you can be paid through wire transfers or have a check mailed to you.
7. After doing the necessary procedures to sell, double-check the ticket exchange list to ensure your tickets are posted.
8. You'll receive Email notifications regarding your tickets' status.
On the other hand, if you are the buyer, here are some tips:
- Event organizers may have their own websites that can sell you tickets. However, better deals may be found when using exchange websites. From the organizer's website, note the ticket details you want to buy including basic seating arrangement and prices.
- Search for your desired tickets on a ticket exchange website. You may find different sellers for similar tickets. Compare information you got there from what you got on the organizer's site to match those that fit your desires and budget.
- Choose your ticket. Determine seller's payment options.
- Determine mode of delivery, either through snail mail, pick-up, or through electronic printing.
- Take note of your transaction or reference number.
Ticket exchange websites serve as a venue for those who want to buy or sell event tickets. Since it’s just a medium, buyers are advised to be aware of fraudulent sellers. One security measure to take is to ask the seller to show a picture with the ticket and an item of your choice to ensure that it's just not a picture posted elsewhere.