Intra-office communication is absolutely necessary and critical to the company’s success. For any good relationship to work, communication is the key – it is the key to building a better future. When you have an office full of people, the relationship between employees becomes critical; every member of every department, from accounting to marketing and sales to the delivery personnel in the warehouse will need to be on the same page. They need to be able to communicate with each other and they have to be able to do it well. Microsoft Office Communicator is a program that can help create reliable routes of communication for your whole office. It will allow you and constituents to easily share work, disseminate vital information and promote synergy like never before. Here is how to use Microsoft Office Communicator:
- Acquisition and installation. Purchase the latest version of Microsoft Office Communicator (Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2). Bootleg versions without licenses are available if you know where to look and will save you a lot of money but will not come with the right licenses allowing you to avail of upgrades and add-ons in the future. Insert the CD and install the software into your servers. You will need to be running Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, Microsoft Windows Vista or Microsoft Windows 7 with a 500-MHz or higher Intel Pentium compatible processor for data and audio, Intel Pentium 4 with at least a single core 1.5- GHz processor for video, a 64 MB video card and at least 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended). You will also need speakers, microphone and camera devices.
- Getting started. Input all contact details into Office Communicator. You can import your contacts from Microsoft Outlook if you have them stored on Microsoft Exchange Server. You will have to search for them in the active directory (Exchange Server) and click and drag them into your contact list. Enable the ‘Audio and Video Wizard’ so that your computer can detect the devices installed on the computer and make standard and video calls possible.
- Instant Messaging. Like most instant messaging software, all you need to do is double-click on a contact to send them an instant message. You can also send group messages if need be.
- Making calls. Click the ‘call’ feature next to your contact to make a voice call. You can also make conference calls. Right click the contact to find the ‘voice call’ feature. Redirecting the voice call to instant messaging is also possible by clicking ‘redirect’ and selecting ‘send an instant message.’
- Other features. With Office Communicator you can also share documents with co-workers. This feature also allows you to work on them together at the same time. This feature is available with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The software also integrates itself with Outlook.
Maximizing and improving intra-office communication should always be a concern for all offices and business. Enabling your people to easily communicate with each other and getting them on the same page will greatly increase the quality and quantity of your output. When your whole office is focused on one goal and everybody is working on it, sharing information and ideas, the business will thrive on that collective energy. Microsoft Office Communicator will help you do this. Get the latest version now and watch the work in your office become more efficient and productive.