A website needs to be hosted on a web server for it to be up and running. Website hosting has two options--managed hosting and dedicated hosting. Managed hosting is different in so many ways from dedicated hosting. Actually, the only thing that they may have in common is the fact that both have dedicated servers for a specific website.
Bigger organizations often puchase the services of a dedicated server host. Websites of entities like these often get high traffic and have huge bodies of electronic data. Having a dedicated server assures them of bigger space, bandwidth, and reliable up time. Dedicated server hosts also mean an additional operational expense. The reason for this is the need to hire technical personnel to handle the server administration tasks. Not to mention the time and energy that is spent to support the server.
Managed hosting, then, becomes a less expensive and less tasking alternative for other businesses. Getting a managed hosting service means having the web host handle the server administration tasks. At the same operational cost, or even at a much lower price, managed hosting provides the company with the services of a dedicated service host plus so much more. Here are just some of the services that web hosts with managed hosting offerings are giving their customers:
- Round the clock monitoring and reporting
- Load balancing or traffic management
- Server security
- Database management
These services may look like simple tasks that any dedicated server host can handle. However, remember that there are more complex processes that are involved in security, storage, and database management. Should you choose to have these performed by your own dedicated server host, it would mean hiring more specialists to perform the complex tasks.
With so many web hosts offering managed hosting to enterprises all over the world, it would be better to keep in mind the following considerations:
- Speedy and reliable customer support. Even if the hosting is not running on a dedicated server, customer support should always be round the clock. Email, chat, and phone support should be available. It is even better if your web host assigns a representative who you will contact in case of server problems.
- Flexibility. This is one of the features that separate dedicated hosting from managed hosting after all. The web host should offer options with regard to price, payment, and service packages.
- Fast and reliable connection. A fast and reliable managed hosting plan is one that has a back up connection should the primary Internet connection fail.
Managed hosting offers more flexibility, too. For instance, some hosts let clients choose what type of administrative functions they would want the web host to manage in consideration of the budget. Most web hosts offer managed hosting plans in different packages at different prices. Of course, the most comprehensive plan would be the most expensive. Still, what will matter most is having a web host that is sensitive enough to adjust web configurations and services according to your needs.