A server is the hardware or software used in computers to provide resources and services to consumers. A server can also be referred to the server operating system on a computer that a consumer uses for different computer related activities. There are different servers available for consumers and the different servers have different server configuration procedures.
Here are some server configuration guides for different servers:
- Fedora Server - Fedora is an operating system that is sponsored by Red Hat. It was developed in 2003. This system is open source but is still considered one of the leading technologies today. There have been 11 releases of the Fedora operating system spanning from 2003 to 2009. Another version is set to release in 2011. The server configuration guide sheet and network configuration for the Fedora server can be found on the website fedora-commons.org.
- Linux Server - Linux uses the Linux kernel as base for the operating system. This is another free open source application. Linux is popular for its servers. However, there are also other hardware for cellular phones and supercomputers. Linux was developed in 1991. A Linux configuration guide document is available on the website reallylinux.com.
- RedHat Server - Red Hat, Inc. is a company that deals with open source applications. The company is also a distributor for Linux. Red Hat released the 389 Directory Server in 2005. This directory server is available for free. There is also a Red Hat Directory Server that consumers can subscribe to. This paid version has additional features that a customer may want to take advantage of. A RedHat server configuration management template can be seen on the website halley.cc.
- Server Debian - Debian is an operating system that is an open source software. The program was developed by different volunteers from around the globe. It was first released in 2003. Since its introduction, Debian has made 10 version releases, 4 of which are stable. There is another release that will be seen in the Spring of 2010. A configuration guide for this can be seen on the website debianhelp.co.uk
- Windows Server - Windows has a series of operating systems from Microsoft. There are different operating systems and servers that are available from Windows. Windows was first released in 1985. Since then, there have been 25 releases of operating systems and servers. Another release is set for Windows 7 in October 2009. A configuration guide for Windows is available on the website informit.com.
These are some of the servers available and where you can find their server configuration guides. It will also be helpful if you try to research and read on the server that you are going to use so that you can make the most out of your hardware. Most of the servers that are on the list are open source programs. They are available for free download on the Internet. It is important that you know how to configure your server so that you can make the most out of it and customize it based on your networking needs.