SEO or search engine optimization is an Internet marketing strategy that involves improving both the quality and volume of traffic from search engines to websites by making your site search engine friendly. Its aim is to bring a site to the top of the list in search results, thus directing more people to view that site. Small businesses with a growing niche on the Internet are becoming increasingly aware of the potential of SEO. It may sound like a very complex technical term but all it takes for it to be effective is to have common sense and simplicity when executing it. You just need basic knowledge of how search engines work. Here are some useful tips and techniques for anyone who wants to master the inner workings of search optimization.
- Clear paths in your website. How should you do this? Make text links that are easy to follow all throughout the site and provide text links to the most important pages. One of these main text links should include a text-based sitemap that contains a text link to every document in the site. Also include text links from one document that’s related to another. That way, search engine crawlers (search spiders) can easily navigate through all your site contents within the shortest time possible. If you accomplish this, you won’t need site submission to major search engines. After you’ve cleared paths, double check for roadblocks—any element that can hinder search spiders from exploring your site thoroughly. This may include HTML codes, lack of appropriate text links, lack of text, page errors, dead or moved links, etc.
- Keywords make or break. The use of effective keywords determine search ranking. It’s like search advertising. Predict keywords relating to your articles or texts that Internet users would most probably type in search submit. Maximize and exhaust the use of these keywords and use them appropriately all throughout your website posts or documents. If possible use related keywords multiple times so that search spiders can assess their importance and include them in the top list for searches. This also enables users to easily find your site. However, if you don’t use the most effective keywords, your site won’t gain much traffic.
- Strong titles and meta description tags. Reinforce your title with the strongest keyword phrases, but keep it to a minimum. Choose only two to three of the best ones to include in your title. Remember that the title is what users will see first at a search results page. On the other hand, meta tags are only fairly important. They give an overview of the website and could be composed of two to three sentences with relevant keywords woven into them.
- Content is the key. Probably the most important aspect of search optimization, one must build up excellent website content. Full body texts are most effective for search spiders to analyze, and remember to keep texts simple and coherent. Keep focused on the main topic and do not stray. If your content involves many other topics, it’s advisable to create different pages dedicated to every specific topic. Weave your main keywords and related keywords into the body of your text. Use them appropriately and deliberately.
- Use SEO software or employ a search optimization site designer. If you can’t seem to make this a DIY project, search optimization software and SEO designers are there to help you out. An example of a software is the Trellian SEO Toolkit, which includes features like a keyword suggestion tool, meta tag editor, rank tracker, and additional tips and techniques to help start a website for a business, company, etc. While SEO Site Designers offer clients their excellent quality services in web designing and SEO.