If you're interested in designing websites on a regular basis, it's a good idea to first enroll in an online web design program; these classes will teach you everything you need to know about creating impressive websites that will draw visitors in and keep them coming back.
- In order to design and develop a website, you must first secure a domain name and a hosting provider.
- Make sure your hosting provider supports the web programming language(s) you plan on using.
- Consider the following when designing and determining the site content of a website:
- A successful site must have a clear focus and reason of existence. Determine the objectives of your site. Some sites serve as an online brochure of a company's services. Others sell products or simply offer information on a set topic.
- Who is the audience of your site? If your audience is businesses, which industries do they belong in? If you are targeting individuals, who are they? What do you think your audience will be looking for when they visit your site?
- What pages/features would you like to have on your site? Think of ways to fulfill your site objectives and offer information your target audience would most like to see. Write down a detailed list of the content you'd like to have.
- What type of tone are you looking for in terms of design? We're thinking emotional reactions from visitors here. Some people want a friendly, professional feel; others want sophisticated. How do you want to portray your site online? What do you think your visitors would like to see? If your visitor demographic is generally on low-speed internet connections, you may want to structure your design so it loads quickly as opposed to having heavy graphics and design elements.
Once you have determined the answers to the above considerations, you are ready to design your website.
The most important part in website design is producing a clear and easy-to-understand navigational structure.
- Organize your site content in a logical way and produce a sitemap to determine the flow of navigation.
- Make sure all content that is responsible in fulfilling your site objective is no more than a click away from the homepage.
Development of your website
There are countless ways and solutions to web development depending on the type of site you are trying to build. Adobe Photoshop and the Adobe (formerly known as Macromedia) Suite are popular software solutions for many website designers. Check out the Adobe and Adobe (formerly known as Macromedia) studio exchange for useful extensions that will most likely save you a lot of development time.
- If your site requires coding that you may not be capable of, try conducting an online search to find helpful tutorials. You may even come across free code snippets other web developers have shared with the public.
- When you have completed your site, upload your files using an FTP client to your web server.
The techniques described above are covered in-depth in most online classes in web design.