Business websites are usually created by a team of individuals who contribute varying ideas and skills. Individuals involved may include a lead designer, lead developer, project manager, marketing manager, sales manager and/or the president of the company.
In some cases a freelance web designer may be employed by a company to build their business website. When such instances occur, it is vital to the project that the web designer can also serve as the project manager for the website creation process.
During the initial phase of business website creation, the following topics should be discussed among decision makers and the website designer or project manager.
- Determine the objectives of your business website. A successful business site must have a clear focus and reason of existence. Some websites are built to serve as an online brochure of a company's services while others sell products.
- Who is the audience of your business? If your audience is other businesses, which industries do they belong in? If you are targeting individuals, who are they? What do you think your audience will be looking for when they visit your business website?
- What pages/features would you like to have on your business website? Think of ways to fulfill your site objectives and offer information your target audience would most like to see. Write down a detailed list of the content you'd like to have on your business website.
- How does the business want to be portrayed online? Some businesses want a friendly, professional feel; others want sophisticated. What do you think your visitors would like to see? Ask decision makers to provide a list of websites they like the look and feel of to get a better idea of the overall design goal.
Once you have determined the answers to the above considerations, you are ready to design your business website.
- Determine a projected timeline for design and development.
- Assign roles and responsibilities to all website contributors. Responsibilities may include producing written copy, purchasing stock art and approving layout designs.
- The most important part in business website design is producing a clear and easy-to-understand navigational structure. Organize your site content in a logical way and produce a sitemap to determine the flow of navigation. Make sure all content that is responsible in fulfilling your site objective is no more than a click away from the homepage.
Development of your business website
There are countless ways and solutions to web development depending on the type of site you are trying to build. Adobe Photoshop and the Adobe (formerly known as Macromedia) Suite are popular software solutions for many business website designers.
- Check out the Adobe and Adobe (formerly known as Macromedia) studio exchange for useful extensions that will most likely save you a lot of development time.
- If your business website requires coding that you may not be capable of, try conducting an online search to find helpful tutorials. You may even come across free code snippets other web developers have shared with the public.
- When you have completed your site, upload your files using an FTP client to your web server.
- Consider looking into paid search advertising if your site objectives could be better fulfilled with a larger audience.