Creating a website can be a fun time. There are millions of personal and business websites on the Internet, including this one. Of course, if you want your website to be viewed by other people you must get past a lot of competition.
The important thing to realize is that it does not have to be about beating your competition. There are plenty of things that you can do to get thousands (or more) of visitors to your website on a regular basis. All you need is a little planning and follow some of the helpful tips listed below.
- Get Listed in the Search Engines. The first and easiest way to get your website noticed is going to be through the search engines. Of course, there is good and bad news for those of you who are anxiously reading this article.
The good news is that you can get your website listed in the major search engines for free! Yahoo!, Google, and MSN are the biggest search engines on the Internet and all of them offer free submissions.
The bad news is that just because you submit your website, this does not mean you will receive a top ranking.
There are multiple factors that work together, to help you get your site listed in the top spots on the top search engines. Some of the main factors are:
- How many links you have going in and out of your site
- The length of time your site has been active
- The quality of the content on your pages
- The accuracy of your keyword (both in Meta Tags&Content)
- How SEO friendly your page is
- SEO (Search Engine Optimize) Your Pages. Once you are on the search engines you need to be able to get to the top and stay there. If you are near the top of the search engines, you will have the best possible chance of increasing traffic.
SEO stands for search engine optimization. One good way to create a page that will rank well is by using Meta Tags. Meta Tags can be used for keywords, titles, and descriptions and are found in the code of your site. More specifically, Meta Tags are located between the HEAD (header) tags. These tags are usually located at the top of your website's coding.
In the description tag, you can place a one or two line description of your website. This description should not exceed 20-25 words. Too many words in the description can get you blacklisted from the major search engines because spammers are known to stuff their META tags. The major search engines limit the amount of words so the search engines (which are usually run by non-humans) do not confuse your site with a spammer site.
In the keyword Meta tag, you should list the most commonly used words and phrases that deal with your website. Again, you do not want to list more than 20 words in the keyword tag. You should also make sure not to repeat a single word more than three times in phrases (or on its own) in the keyword tag.
- For this article, you might use keywords such as:
SEO, increasing web traffic, website traffic, search engine ranking, Meta tags
- For a description, you might write:
An article dealing with the importance of how to improve your website's search engine ranking.
- Join a Link Exchange Program. Several free programs online allow you to list your site and look for other sites interested in exchanging links.
Link Partners is one site like this. You can sign up and list your site to inform others that you are receptive to link exchanges. Not only is this free but it is simple. You place links on a link page on your site and in turn, people do the same for you. This allows everyone that visits a site where your link is, to find you as well.
- Publish Articles in Free Article Databases. By writing articles about your website's theme, you will be able to establish yourself as a leader or expert in your field. This will not only help people find your website, it will help them get a good impression of you before they even visit your site.
When you place your articles in an article database, you are allowing people to use your articles on their websites and in their newsletters. In return, they agree to place a resource box about you under the article's text. In the resource box, you list your name, a small blurb about you and your website, and of course, the URL.
- Create a Monthly Newsletter. People love visiting websites that offer free information. They also like websites that are kept up-to-date.
By offering a free newsletter, you are reminding people of all the reasons they need to continue visiting your site. This also allows you to find additional visitors because when someone likes your content they will tell their family and friends as well!
While you may not have time to write the newsletter yourself, you always have the option of hiring a freelance writer to write the newsletter for you. There are several online vendors, such as Elance, Scriptlance, and Rentacoder, which allow anyone to post writing projects (for no cost or obligation to you). You can set a price and find a writer to do the grunt work for you!
- Never Assume Your Website is Finished. Websites need to be constantly worked on and updated. Fresh content is necessary for large amounts of traffic.
You may get good numbers on your site one month but people will stop coming back if there are no new things to see on a regular basis. You might consider adding RSS feeds for content, writing new articles each week or month, or keeping a message board active with posts from you and members of your website community.
No matter what you decide to do, if your website has something new and fresh on a regular basis people will come and enjoy the fruits of your labor.