Website promotion is one of the most important aspects of creating a successful Internet website. Once you have the beautiful design, the well-written content, and the site all ready to go, you will need to come up with ways to make sure people find your site. Finding ways to show off your site is what website promotion is all about. Furthermore, your goal should be to convince people that there are many reasons to visit, and to continue visiting after they have found your site.
The good news is there are several things you can do to promote your website that cost a minimal amount of money. How much you spend is going to be up to you and may depend on your ultimate goal for your site. However, if you are on a limited budget, many of these ideas can be implemented easily without a problem.
- Start with the basics. One of the easiest ways to promote your website is going to be through the search engines. Search engine optimization will give you the best chance to get to the top of the search engines.
By using Meta tags, H1 and H2 header tags, and using keywords to enhance your content, you will be able to get a much higher ranking in the search engines. You can find out how to use header tags by doing a search for HTML header tags on Yahoo. You will be able to find sites such as HTML Codes: How to use Headers for Structure.
You can find out how to make your Meta tags perfect by googling or using Yahoo to search for free Meta tag generators. If you prefer to do your own Meta tags check out How to Use HTML Meta Tags. Not only does the author explain a little more about how you can use Meta tags, he also gives examples of what you can put within them.
Other things like the use of a links page will also help add to your placement. The more links you have coming in to your site, the higher your page rank, which can contribute to your search engine placement.
- Press releases. There are many sites where you can post press releases for free, or at a low cost to you. All you need to do is write up an excellent press release about your website and post it on these other sites. People will be able to read your release. Soon they will be flocking to your website! You can also write up press releases for use offline.
If your site offers something other sites do not, you can send the press releases to media outlets such as local newspapers and television stations. You never know, your site may be profiled in a column or on a segment of the 6 o'clock news!
- Self-advertising. One of the smartest things that you can do to promote your site is to add it to all your business information. You should list your website URL on your business cards, on your forum and email signatures, and if you have a business listing in the phone book, you should list it there, too.
Handing out your business card means that someone has instant access to know how to get to your website. When most people receive a business card, they might tuck it away. However, when they look at it again, you can bet they will be visiting your website to learn more about you!
- Use advertising partners to your advantage. By finding a few sites that are on a similar theme, but not identical to your site, you can work together to promote one another's business at no cost. Having advertising partners can be as simple as trading banners with someone. However, this means that everyone that visits your partner's website will have a chance to see you as well. This is exactly what you want. Its not only good advertising, but it frees up your money for more expensive purchases you will need to make.
- Give away free stuff. People love free stuff. Offer newsletters, e-book samplers or article auto-responders to be sent through email. You could offer additional free things such as
- Downloads (desktop backgrounds, website backgrounds, etc.)
- A blog
- Articles for use on the visitor's website
This will convince people to visit your site often. They may come to see what freebies your website has available. If your site catches their eye, you can be sure that they will stay to check out exactly what your site is about and what it has to offer them.
Make your site interactive. People love community sites. They like visiting sites with active forums and things to do. Your goal is going to be to keep the visitor there long enough to discover all you have to offer. A good hook is a community feeling because they will want to become involved in all that is going on.
If you have the means, a great way to get visitors is a contest. The theme and prize for any type of contest would depend on what you wanted to offer and what kind of site you run.