These days, it is critical to protect your computer with antivirus protection. The first decision to make when preparing install antivirus programs, is which program is best. Symantec antivirus protection software has become a very popular choice for antivirus programs. This article will walk you through the installation of Symantec Norton Antivirus.
Before you begin the installation process, all programs currently open should be closed. Open programs have the potential of interfering with the proper installation of computer antivirus software. Two versions of the program can be loaded: Symantec Norton AntiVirus CD or a downloaded version of Norton Antivirus obtained from the Symantec website.
To begin the installation procedure for Symantec's antivirus program, follow these steps:
- You must either open the CD-ROM drive and insert the Norton AntiVirus CD, or locate your downloaded copy of Norton AntiVirus on your computer and double-click it.
NOTE: If you are using a downloaded copy of Norton AntiVirus for the installation, you can skip to step 4.
- When the opening panel appears, click on Install Norton AntiVirus to start the installation.
- On the Welcome panel, click Next. A pre-install scan will begin, attempting to repair viruses or problems already on your computer. This process will take a few minutes to complete. When the scan is complete, click on View Details to see the scan results. Any viruses that were found but could not be repaired will be quarantined. The quarantined items can be removed from your computer once the installation is complete.
- Next, the License Agreement will appear for you to read. Once you've read it, click on I Accept the License Agreement. You may then be prompted to enter your product key.
NOTE: If you do not accept the License Agreement, the installation will not continue.
- Click on Next. The Select the Destination folder panel then appears. You can use the default selection or choose another location if you prefer to do so.
- Click on Next. The installation begins, prompting the Installation Progress panel to appear. As its name would suggest, this panel keeps track of the progress of the installation. After several minutes, the process will be complete.
- When the installation is complete, click on Finish to restart your computer. Your computer will not be protected until it is restarted and the configuration process is done.
After the computer restarts, you may have to wait several minutes for the Norton AntiVirus window to open on the desktop. When it appears, you are now ready to configure Norton Antivirus. You must be online in order to configure it, though.
To configure Norton AntiVirus, follow these steps:
- Click on Next in the opening configuration panel. When the Activation panel appears and you are connected to the Internet, click on Next.
- The activation may take a few minutes to complete. Once the Activation Complete panel appears, examine the subscription information and then click Print to print your product key. The product key is needed if you intend to install Norton Antivirus on a new computer.
- Click on Next. The Create Your Norton Account panel will then appear. In this panel, complete the Create New Account section and click Submit to make a new account. Alternately, if you already have an account, then you can complete the section indicating that you already have an account and click Log On.
- A Confirmation panel will appear. Click on Next. A Security panel may appear next. It is recommended by Symantec to leave all options checked to use the Norton products on your computer. To close this panel, click Next.
- Review the Thank You panel that appears and click on Finish. Norton AntiVirus will Run LiveUpdate to download and install the latest security protection and then it will scan your computer to ensure that it is virus-free.
- When the Welcome to LiveUpdate panel appears, click on Next to begin downloading the updates. This will take a few minutes.
- After the updates are complete, click on Finish to begin the virus scan. This scan will take several minutes to complete. When it is done, the Scan Complete panel will appear. You can review the scan results and then click on Finish.
See how simple it is to learn how to install Symantec antivirus program? If you have succeeded, your computer is now fully protected by Symantec!